Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Purging gas pipes?

I have just had a combi boiler installed and now need to remove a gas fire.
The gas fire supply will be blanked off at the main gas pipe running through
the house, not at the fire itself, and there is a gas cooker also fed from a
branch off this main pipe. After the feed to the gas fire has been blanked
off, I can easily purge the air from the pipe to the gas cooker, but this
will leave about a 3 metre feed to the boiler unpurged, and I don't really
want to disturb any boiler connections. My question is, will the boiler self
purge itself through its starting process, or is there anything else I
should be aware of before restarting the boiler?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Stottle wrote:

I have just had a combi boiler installed and now need to remove a gas fire.
The gas fire supply will be blanked off at the main gas pipe running through
the house, not at the fire itself, and there is a gas cooker also fed from a
branch off this main pipe. After the feed to the gas fire has been blanked
off, I can easily purge the air from the pipe to the gas cooker, but this
will leave about a 3 metre feed to the boiler unpurged, and I don't really
want to disturb any boiler connections. My question is, will the boiler self
purge itself through its starting process, or is there anything else I
should be aware of before restarting the boiler?

I worried about this too when I fitted my boiler, but it didnt seem to
be a problem at all, the boiler lit far faster than I woudl have
expected - the pipe is maybe 4 metres long from meter to boiler.

The gas hob on the other hand took far longer than expected.
I had done neither before, so had no prior knowledge of how long they
take.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:23:30 +0000, Harry Stottle wrote:

I have just had a combi boiler installed and now need to remove a gas
fire. The gas fire supply will be blanked off at the main gas pipe
running through the house, not at the fire itself, and there is a gas
cooker also fed from a branch off this main pipe. After the feed to the
gas fire has been blanked off, I can easily purge the air from the pipe
to the gas cooker, but this will leave about a 3 metre feed to the
boiler unpurged, and I don't really want to disturb any boiler
connections. My question is, will the boiler self purge itself through
its starting process, or is there anything else I should be aware of
before restarting the boiler?

If your just capping a gas fire then you won't get any air into the rest
of the pipe work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote

If your just capping a gas fire then you won't get any air into the rest
of the pipe work.

Are you assuming that he will use a compression blank rather than a soldered
cap here?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Harry Stottle wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies, and even more reassuring, the lack of warnings :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:36:28 +0000, TheScullster wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote

If your just capping a gas fire then you won't get any air into the
rest of the pipe work.

Are you assuming that he will use a compression blank rather than a
soldered cap here?

If the joint remains accessible and it's done right it makes no
difference to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:36:28 +0000, TheScullster wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote

If your just capping a gas fire then you won't get any air into the
rest of the pipe work.

Are you assuming that he will use a compression blank rather than a
soldered cap here?

If the joint remains accessible and it's done right it makes no
difference to me.

Soldered cap, now done and tested with no problems, thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:36:28 +0000, TheScullster wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote

If your just capping a gas fire then you won't get any air into the
rest of the pipe work.

Are you assuming that he will use a compression blank rather than a
soldered cap here?

If the joint remains accessible and it's done right it makes no
difference to me.

Does the gas burn off when you try to solder a joint without first
purging it out?
or would you always try to purge out the gas before capping a pipe?
Ta
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:15:43 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:36:28 +0000, TheScullster wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote

If your just capping a gas fire then you won't get any air into the
rest of the pipe work.

Are you assuming that he will use a compression blank rather than a
soldered cap here?

If the joint remains accessible and it's done right it makes no
difference to me.

Does the gas burn off when you try to solder a joint without first
purging it out?
or would you always try to purge out the gas before capping a pipe? Ta
Alan.

You obviously have to turn off the gas. 8-).

You have put the cap on the end and it is already more or less gas tight
with the flux. The soldering process will not set light to gas which has
little or no oxygen in it and which is inside the pipe.

However you should not solder any gas pipes within in 2m of the meter.
Disconnecting the meter etc is a more advanced topic.