Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security screwdriver set

Hi

I'm after a set of security screwdrivers. The flat, two-prong type. I've found a
set of four in the States, but they don't post to the UK.

The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of which I have,
are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder.

Has anyone a suggestion for a stockist. Ebay has the tri point type but not the
flat.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
I'm after a set of security screwdrivers. The flat, two-prong type. I've
found a set of four in the States, but they don't post to the UK.

The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of which
I have, are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder.

I'd expect RS Components to have this sort of thing.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
Hi

I'm after a set of security screwdrivers. The flat, two-prong type.
I've found a set of four in the States, but they don't post to the UK.

The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of
which I have, are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder.

Has anyone a suggestion for a stockist. Ebay has the tri point type
but not the flat.

These any good?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...=security+bits

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:41:15 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Has anyone a suggestion for a stockist. Ebay has the tri point type
but not the flat.

These any good?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...=security+bits

Hi Dave - No unfortunately they're too wide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:39:43 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of which
I have, are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder.

I'd expect RS Components to have this sort of thing.

Yes, I should have thought about RS. I'll have a look, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:09:09 +0000, Andy Cap
wrote:

Hi

I'm after a set of security screwdrivers. The flat, two-prong type. I've found a
set of four in the States, but they don't post to the UK.

The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of which I have,
are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder.

Has anyone a suggestion for a stockist. Ebay has the tri point type but not the
flat.

I have a set of security bits bought from maplin. Had the same problem
with them being too fat to fit. Bought a set of flat bladed drivers
and slotted them myself with on of those little rotary tools
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

I'm after a set of security screwdrivers. The flat, two-prong type. I've
found a set of four in the States, but they don't post to the UK.

The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of which
I have, are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder.

Has anyone a suggestion for a stockist. Ebay has the tri point type but
not the flat.

I have a set of security bits bought from maplin. Had the same problem
with them being too fat to fit. Bought a set of flat bladed drivers and
slotted them myself with on of those little rotary tools

Ditto, it's easier to make your own.

Although dealextreme do quite a few variations on electronics/cellphone
screwdrivers and sets for no money at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:10:40 +0000, Alang wrote:

I have a set of security bits bought from maplin. Had the same problem
with them being too fat to fit. Bought a set of flat bladed drivers
and slotted them myself with on of those little rotary tools

Many brains make light work. Well, toaster ! Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:10:40 +0000, Alang wrote:

I have a set of security bits bought from maplin. Had the same problem
with them being too fat to fit. Bought a set of flat bladed drivers
and slotted them myself with on of those little rotary tools

Many brains make light work. Well, toaster ! Cheers.

I found a quick touch of the blade of a flat screwdriver on the edge of a
bench grinder wheel gave me an exact fit when I needed one of these.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...=security+bits

You Boy at the back! Wake up and pay attention!

OP said "The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of
which I have, are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder."

;-)
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Cap wrote:
Hi

I'm after a set of security screwdrivers. The flat, two-prong type. I've found a
set of four in the States, but they don't post to the UK.

The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of which I have,
are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder.

Has anyone a suggestion for a stockist. Ebay has the tri point type but not the
flat.

Andy C

Kamasa have a reasonable range of precision (read: smaller than
standard) bits. Available from Isaac Lord inter alia.

http://www.kamasa.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=452&item=2486

But looks like you'd have to fettle a normal bit into a security bit.

If you really wish to push the boat out...

http://www.crestindustrial.com/index_files/Page316.htm

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
wrote

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...UCSTHZOSFFA?_d
yncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=security+bits

You Boy at the back! Wake up and pay attention!

OP said "The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets, one of
which I have, are too fat by the time they're placed in the holder."

The holder is two and a half inches away from the tip of the bit. These
are not the normal short bits. However the maximum diameter (hexagonal
cross section shaft) is around 7mm.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...=security+bits

You Boy at the back! Wake up and pay attention!

OP said "The shaft needs to be 5.5mm max and the security bit sets,
one of which I have, are too fat by the time they're placed in the
holder."

OK, I'm standing in the naughty corner :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk