Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideas wanted

I need to create a turntable to operate outside for a few weeks
Its going to carry approx 5 to 10Kg's and will be 75cm diameter.
Preferably I'd like to run it from 12volts for safety reasons.
Happy to build a frame beneath it to support whatever motor/contraption I
end up with.
I may even create a square floor with the hole cut in the centre for the
turntable.
I just need ideas to drive the thing.
Car window wiper motor? tumble dryer?
Ideas folks? how are your creative juices this morning??
TIA
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vass
writes
I need to create a turntable to operate outside for a few weeks
Its going to carry approx 5 to 10Kg's and will be 75cm diameter.
Preferably I'd like to run it from 12volts for safety reasons.
Happy to build a frame beneath it to support whatever motor/contraption
I end up with.
I may even create a square floor with the hole cut in the centre for
the turntable.
I just need ideas to drive the thing.
Car window wiper motor? tumble dryer?
Ideas folks? how are your creative juices this morning??

How about the motor drive from a rotating amber beacon.

12V dc

You don't mention rate of rotation but the output from these motors is a
tiny pulley with belt drive to the bottom of the beacon. So a big step
down ratio.

Any farm will have broken beacons lying about the workshop. Trees etc!

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
I need to create a turntable to operate outside for a few weeks
Its going to carry approx 5 to 10Kg's and will be 75cm diameter.
Preferably I'd like to run it from 12volts for safety reasons.
Happy to build a frame beneath it to support whatever
motor/contraption I end up with.
I may even create a square floor with the hole cut in the centre for
the turntable.
I just need ideas to drive the thing.
Car window wiper motor? tumble dryer?
Ideas folks? how are your creative juices this morning??
TIA

Most machines on Robot Wars are driven by wheelchair motors so maybe they'd
do the job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Mar, 08:51, "Vass" wrote:
I need to create a turntable to operate outside for a few weeks
Its going to carry approx 5 to 10Kg's and will be 75cm diameter.

Large diameter lazy susan bearing, motor drive by belt to an inner
pulley, Large diameter belt pulleys live in washing machines.

Otherwise a front-wheel drive car hub. Something with McPherson strut
suspension and where the hub unbolts from the strut.

Preferably I'd like to run it from 12volts for safety reasons.

Not really that much safer than 110V from an isolating transformer, or
even 240V through an isolating transformer (although that then falls
foul of some paperwork)

Windscreen wiper motors are good, and a recycled PC case fan to blow
cooling air. You need a motor (probably older) with a rotating output
shaft (and a reciprocating linkage) not the more compact sort where
the rotary to reciprocating motion is inside the case.

Wheelchair motors are great, but very similar to starters and harder
to find.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 13 Mar, 08:51, "Vass" wrote:
[...]

nice one thanks.. I live where 40% of the population are over 50 and I'm
surrounded
by mobility shops. will go ask
Cheers
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

How about the motor drive from a rotating amber beacon.

12V dc

You don't mention rate of rotation but the output from these motors is a
tiny pulley with belt drive to the bottom of the beacon. So a big step
down ratio.

rotation is slowish, I'd say 1 revolution per 5 seconds.
would one of those lights really have the strength?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Mar, 09:59, Andy Dingley wrote:

Wheelchair motors are great, but very similar to starters and harder
to find.

Doh! They're nothing like starters - they're similar to wiper motors.

Wheelchairs also have a final drive gearbox that would replace the
belt drive. Handy if you have it, not crucial if you don't. Belt
drives are helpfully tolerant of crude alignment,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 13 Mar, 09:59, Andy Dingley wrote:

Wheelchair motors are great, but very similar to starters and harder
to find.

Doh! They're nothing like starters - they're similar to wiper motors.

Wheelchairs also have a final drive gearbox that would replace the
belt drive. Handy if you have it, not crucial if you don't. Belt
drives are helpfully tolerant of crude alignment,

I'm liking this idea all the more, maybe utilise the pot to regulate the
speed too.
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Mar, 08:51, "Vass" wrote:
I need to create a turntable to operate outside for a few weeks
Its going to carry approx 5 to 10Kg's and will be 75cm diameter.
Preferably I'd like to run it from 12volts for safety reasons.
Happy to build a frame beneath it to support whatever motor/contraption I
end up with.
I may even create a square floor with the hole cut in the centre for the
turntable.
I just need ideas to drive the thing.
Car window wiper motor? tumble dryer?
Ideas folks? how are your creative juices this morning??
TIA
--
Vass

How about an old battery drill - one that still works but the battery
is knackered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass laid this down on his screen :
I need to create a turntable to operate outside for a few weeks
Its going to carry approx 5 to 10Kg's and will be 75cm diameter.
Preferably I'd like to run it from 12volts for safety reasons.
Happy to build a frame beneath it to support whatever motor/contraption I end
up with.
I may even create a square floor with the hole cut in the centre for the
turntable.
I just need ideas to drive the thing.
Car window wiper motor? tumble dryer?
Ideas folks? how are your creative juices this morning??
TIA

A front hub, disc and stub axle from a scrap car to which you fix the
turntable. Add a large pulley from something like a washing machine or
drier, then drive that with your 12v motor. The motor is not so easy -
In the old days of generators rather than alternators I would suggest a
generator used as a motor with lamps in series to reduce the
speed/power.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vass
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .

How about the motor drive from a rotating amber beacon.

12V dc

You don't mention rate of rotation but the output from these motors
is a tiny pulley with belt drive to the bottom of the beacon. So a
big step down ratio.

rotation is slowish, I'd say 1 revolution per 5 seconds.
would one of those lights really have the strength?

Probably not, they only rotate the reflector, but you have another 5:1
step to add a bit more torque:-)

Vehicle wheel hubs have been suggested. An alternative might be an
engine water pump spindle.

regards

--
Tim Lamb