Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Killing grass

Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric usually
does the job, but I want to be sure. Sodium Chlorate?

How far do they/does it spread sideways?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric
usually
does the job, but I want to be sure. Sodium Chlorate?

How far do they/does it spread sideways?

Weed fabric alone will be enough - cut the light off and nothing grows.
People on allotments use bits of old carpet - though I suspect your
customers may think that a bit cheap ;-

Sodium chlorate will poison the ground quite effectively - it won't spread
far though, probably a foot at the most in the wet, depending on the
strenght of application.

A Glyphosphate based killer will get in the foliage and travel down to the
roots in the same plant - but this isn't helpful in the case of grass,
though it does kill grass quite effectively.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric
usually does the job, but I want to be sure. Sodium Chlorate?

How far do they/does it spread sideways?

Engine oil? That seems to have done a bloody good job when I parked
something leaky on the "emergency parking" bit of my lawn (which has plastic
reinforcement).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric
usually does the job, but I want to be sure. Sodium Chlorate?

How far do they/does it spread sideways?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Sodium Chlorate from the Pound shop. One tub should do 10m2 but I would
double the dose.

Unless you know a source for Paraquat?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:26:12 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Weed fabric alone will be enough - cut the light off and nothing grows.

Well it does but not for long.

Sodium chlorate will poison the ground quite effectively

How long does it last in the ground?

A Glyphosphate based killer will get in the foliage and travel down to
the roots in the same plant

And breaks down in the enviroment so you can use it to clear an area and
be able to replant after a while.

Chemical only treatment may not get seeds. If you don't put a fabric down
they will grow under the decking. Personally I think a decent bit of weed
fabric is all you need.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric usually
does the job, but I want to be sure.

Roundup or one its clones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Mar, 12:00, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. *Weed fabric usually
does the job, but I want to be sure. *Sodium Chlorate?

Good fabric is your best bet - kills grass dead, but there are other
plants that will happily travel several feet in the dark before
emerging. Grass normally can't compete under decks anyway, it's the
others (esp. brambles) that cause the trouble.

Sodium chlorate is easy to get hold of and works for this sort of long-
term sterilisation. Glyphosate and *quat aren't persistent enough to
be any use, although glyphosate might be useful for a first-pass to
kill things already present.

How far do they/does it spread sideways?

As far as the water goes. If there's any sort of slope with runoff,
sodium chlorate could have a run-off deadzone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon writes:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric usually
does the job, but I want to be sure.

Roundup or one its clones.

Isn't that glyphosphate based?
If so, it will only kill what's currently growing.
By design, it is deactivated when it hits the soil,
so it won't stop new plants growing afterwards.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon writes:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric
usually
does the job, but I want to be sure.

Roundup or one its clones.

Isn't that glyphosphate based?
If so, it will only kill what's currently growing.
By design, it is deactivated when it hits the soil,
so it won't stop new plants growing afterwards.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Napalm? It is supposed to smell good in a morning.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric usually
does the job, but I want to be sure. Sodium Chlorate?

How far do they/does it spread sideways?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

My Aunt buys a large tub of table salt and sweeps it into the gaps,
seems to work for her, but I am not really sure because doesn't the
salt dissolve in the rain?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon writes:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric
usually
does the job, but I want to be sure.

Roundup or one its clones.

Isn't that glyphosphate based?
If so, it will only kill what's currently growing.
By design, it is deactivated when it hits the soil,
so it won't stop new plants growing afterwards.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Napalm? It is supposed to smell good in a morning.

Only when used in conjunction with washing powder

I heard that Surf is best

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon writes:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Looking for a weedkiller to kill off grass under decks. Weed fabric usually
does the job, but I want to be sure.

Roundup or one its clones.

Isn't that glyphosphate based?
If so, it will only kill what's currently growing.
By design, it is deactivated when it hits the soil,
so it won't stop new plants growing afterwards.

yeah rondup is glyphosate. There are path clear stuffs tho. They persist
a bit longer in the soil.

Ive never found chlorate to be that effective. Except for amateur
explosives, but it isn't even any use for that these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:47:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

Napalm? It is supposed to smell good in a morning.

Well it'll burn it off but it'll grow back. How about Agent Orange?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Killing a tree??? Mark Woodworking 19 June 18th 07 04:49 AM
[A bit OT] Killing Rats Vortex UK diy 102 February 25th 05 12:04 PM
Killing Grass Within Shrubs & Plants John Home Repair 18 February 10th 05 09:48 PM
Aaargh Killing black growth in toilet w/o killing 22 pound cat 1_Patriotic_Gal Home Repair 16 May 22nd 04 02:31 PM