Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Access above a conservatory ?

Just bought a house, and in the near-ish future i'll need to replace
the gutter boards and soffits (many of the air vents are currently
missing / damaged, as well as there being some minor rot to the
woodwork)

Most of the house is probably manageable, but how the hell do you work
above a conservatory without having to call someone in at hellish
expense with masses of scaffolding ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Colin

Colin Wilson wrote:
Just bought a house, and in the near-ish future i'll need to replace
the gutter boards and soffits (many of the air vents are currently
missing / damaged, as well as there being some minor rot to the
woodwork)

Most of the house is probably manageable, but how the hell do you work
above a conservatory without having to call someone in at hellish
expense with masses of scaffolding ?

Denends on what sort of a head you have for heights - but the local hire
place out here (South-West Ireland) will rent you a trailer with a
'cherry-picker' (hydraulic platform on the end of a long arm) mounted on
it.

Park the beast close up against the conservatory, put the legs down and
off you go (allegedly)...

Ask your local hire shop ..?

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:
Just bought a house, and in the near-ish future i'll need to replace
the gutter boards and soffits (many of the air vents are currently
missing / damaged, as well as there being some minor rot to the
woodwork)

Most of the house is probably manageable, but how the hell do you work
above a conservatory without having to call someone in at hellish
expense with masses of scaffolding ?

I was surprised how cheap scaffolding was in the peak of the
economic boom. I rather suspect it might be even cheaper now.
I needed to replace some of the roof and had it erected for
that. Also took the opportunity to replace facias, guttering,
bottom strip of felt, and fit felt support trays.
All a complete doddle with the scaffolding there.

I need to do some facias and guttering on another side, and
I'll probably get scaffolding again. This would allow me to
go further and also replace the bottom strip of felt, and
fit felt support trays on that side too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:14:48 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house, and in the near-ish future i'll need to replace
the gutter boards and soffits (many of the air vents are currently
missing / damaged, as well as there being some minor rot to the
woodwork)

Most of the house is probably manageable, but how the hell do you work
above a conservatory without having to call someone in at hellish
expense with masses of scaffolding ?

Use a tower, a few lengths of scaffolding pole and an assortment of clips:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0011.jpg

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use a tower, a few lengths of scaffolding pole and an assortment of clips:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0011.jpg

I'm not sure i'd be able to do it without a tower both sides, and
laying boards across between the two :-}

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Denends on what sort of a head you have for heights - but the local hire
place out here (South-West Ireland) will rent you a trailer with a
'cherry-picker' (hydraulic platform on the end of a long arm) mounted on
it.

I don't think the access gap between the houses would allow for a
cherry picker :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson o.uk
wrote:

Just bought a house, and in the near-ish future i'll need to replace
the gutter boards and soffits (many of the air vents are currently
missing / damaged, as well as there being some minor rot to the
woodwork)

Most of the house is probably manageable, but how the hell do you work
above a conservatory without having to call someone in at hellish
expense with masses of scaffolding ?

I fixed a couple of steel brackets to the wall which were long enough to
support two scaffold boards. I only needed two brackets as the
conservatory is seven feet wide; the brackets were just over four feet
apart.

When I needed to work at height I placed the scaffold boards on the
brackets and tied them down, then gained access to the resulting
platform with an extending ladder. When on the platform I hooked a
harness on to a safety line secured to the wall with Rawlbolts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 21:14:48 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:
Just bought a house, and in the near-ish future i'll need to replace
the gutter boards and soffits (many of the air vents are currently
missing / damaged, as well as there being some minor rot to the
woodwork)

Most of the house is probably manageable, but how the hell do you work
above a conservatory without having to call someone in at hellish
expense with masses of scaffolding ?

Depends on the shape of the conservatory and what the roof is made of.
With mine, it's lean-to at the back of the house, with a polycarbonate
roof. I have in the past used crawling boards to distribute the weight
of people & things on the conservatory roof, while working above it.

If the poly's old, it might have gone brittle, but if so then it probably
needs changing as part of the work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson o.uk writes
Denends on what sort of a head you have for heights - but the local hire
place out here (South-West Ireland) will rent you a trailer with a
'cherry-picker' (hydraulic platform on the end of a long arm) mounted on
it.

I don't think the access gap between the houses would allow for a
cherry picker :-(

IIRC You can get smaller cherry pickers that will go through a normal
sized doorway
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't think the access gap between the houses would allow for a
cherry picker :-(

IIRC You can get smaller cherry pickers that will go through a normal
sized doorway

Interesting - thanks :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I fixed a couple of steel brackets to the wall which were long enough to
support two scaffold boards. I only needed two brackets as the
conservatory is seven feet wide; the brackets were just over four feet
apart.
When I needed to work at height I placed the scaffold boards on the
brackets and tied them down, then gained access to the resulting
platform with an extending ladder. When on the platform I hooked a
harness on to a safety line secured to the wall with Rawlbolts.

I like that idea - might be worth a go !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on the shape of the conservatory and what the roof is made of.
With mine, it's lean-to at the back of the house, with a polycarbonate
roof. I have in the past used crawling boards to distribute the weight
of people & things on the conservatory roof, while working above it.

Not sure what shape you'd describe it as - it protrudes from the back
of the house by about 8 feet, and has a corner lopped off for the
doors to the rear.

If the poly's old, it might have gone brittle, but if so then it probably
needs changing as part of the work.

Not sure of the age, it was a repossession :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 8:31*pm, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

If you have access either side of the conservatory then ask for
painters cripples at your local hire shop. They are steel brackets
that fasten to a pair of ladders and you put scaffold boards between
them.

--
Nige Danton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nige Danton wrote:

If you have access either side of the conservatory then ask for
painters cripples at your local hire shop.

If you ask for Staging Brackets they're less likely to say "huh?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 08:11:35 -0700 (PDT), Nige Danton
wrote:

On Mar 8, 8:31*pm, Colin Wilson
REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgr...@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM. co.uk wrote:

If you have access either side of the conservatory then ask for
painters cripples at your local hire shop. They are steel brackets
that fasten to a pair of ladders and you put scaffold boards between
them.

Example here
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/pho...0/photo301.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 13:33:31 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:
Depends on the shape of the conservatory and what the roof is made of.
With mine, it's lean-to at the back of the house, with a polycarbonate
roof. I have in the past used crawling boards to distribute the weight
of people & things on the conservatory roof, while working above it.

Not sure what shape you'd describe it as - it protrudes from the back
of the house by about 8 feet, and has a corner lopped off for the
doors to the rear.

If the poly's old, it might have gone brittle, but if so then it probably
needs changing as part of the work.

Not sure of the age, it was a repossession :-}

The crucial thing is that it isn't glass.

My roof looks a little like the one in this pictu
http://www.flitwickglass.co.uk/lean_t16.jpg
as opposed to the pitched roof in this picture
http://www.flitwickglass.co.uk/Victor2.jpg

The polycarbonate sheets are bolted to a large beam on the outside wall, so
there's sufficient load-bearing to support a man's weight - provided that
weight is distributed across a couple of rafters and that it is close to the
wall of the house - not in the middle of the conservatory roof. Therefore
it isn't applied directly to the roofing material. So long as the poly isn't
damaged or cracks under the load, it's possible (with care) to walk on
the crawling boards, so you don't need scaffolding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:24:26 +0000, Alang wrote:

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 08:11:35 -0700 (PDT), Nige Danton
wrote:

On Mar 8, 8:31Â*pm, Colin Wilson
REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgr...@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM .co.uk wrote:

If you have access either side of the conservatory then ask for painters
cripples at your local hire shop. They are steel brackets that fasten
to a pair of ladders and you put scaffold boards between them.

Example here
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/pho...chive_301-350/

photo301.asp

Nice picture... as if working at heights wasn't dangerous enough!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nige Danton" wrote in message
On Mar 8, 8:31 pm, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

If you have access either side of the conservatory then ask for
painters cripples at your local hire shop.

Is that politically correct in this day and age ;-)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Colin Wilson
o.uk saying something
like:

Most of the house is probably manageable, but how the hell do you work
above a conservatory without having to call someone in at hellish
expense with masses of scaffolding ?

Use one of these...
http://www.systems4business.co.nz/im...3/Picture1.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mar 8, 8:31*pm, Colin Wilson
REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgr...@phoenixbbsZEROSPA M.co.uk wrote:

If you have access either side of the conservatory then ask for painters
cripples at your local hire shop. They are steel brackets that fasten
to a pair of ladders and you put scaffold boards between them.

Example here
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/pho...chive_301-350/

photo301.asp

Nice picture... as if working at heights wasn't dangerous enough!

In that picture it isn't the working at height it's the coming down to
ground that would be the problem

Posted to uk.d-i-y

as opposed to the pitched roof in this picture
http://www.flitwickglass.co.uk/Victor2.jpg

Ahh, the one we have is the pitched roof variant, and it pretty much
looks like the right hand end as shown in the picture with the door on
the angle at the end.

The staging brackets sound useful though !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use one of these...
http://www.systems4business.co.nz/im...3/Picture1.jpg

Shi.... !

Rad for conservatory The Medway Handyman UK diy 3 December 31st 07 03:25 PM
Conservatory Access Ladders Des UK diy 5 May 1st 07 06:25 PM
DIY Conservatory [email protected] UK diy 3 November 9th 05 07:31 PM
New conservatory CQMMAN UK diy 2 November 26th 04 06:50 PM
Using hot air in conservatory David UK diy 5 August 3rd 03 10:13 AM