Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default This time next year Rodney...

It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to run
that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to run
that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

About ten times the size of your van!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Andrews wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to
run that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

About ten times the size of your van!

I thought there might be a snag...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman wrote
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to run
that?

Approx. 1m x 0.5m @ £300 if the sun shines, otherwise something larger
and more expensive.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Andrews wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to
run that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

About ten times the size of your van!

Peter

And even bigger at night! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to run
that?

Whats wrong with an inverter to run the mains one from your van ?

'Swot I do....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to
run that?

Whats wrong with an inverter to run the mains one from your van ?

Nothing. I just thought the solar panel was a nifty idea.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to
run that?

Whats wrong with an inverter to run the mains one from your van ?

Nothing. I just thought the solar panel was a nifty idea.

So does Greenpeace:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman laid this down on his screen :
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered charger
for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to run that?

Quite big, quite expensive and you would also need an inverter, plus a
12v battery to receive the output and an inverter.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
The Medway Handyman laid this down on his screen :
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to run
that?

Quite big, quite expensive and you would also need an inverter, plus a 12v
battery to receive the output and an inverter.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

http://cpc.farnell.com/icp-global-te...sei/dp/BT04175

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Norman Billingham wrote:

http://cpc.farnell.com/icp-global-te...sei/dp/BT04175

But is that 65W output when it's located in Kent or Kenya?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Norman Billingham" norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote in message

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
The Medway Handyman laid this down on his screen :
It occurred to me today, wouldn't it be nifty to have a solar powered
charger for cordless tool batteries.

A Makita charger only needs 60w. How big a panel would you need to run
that?

Quite big, quite expensive and you would also need an inverter, plus a
12v battery to receive the output and an inverter.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

http://cpc.farnell.com/icp-global-te...sei/dp/BT04175

How much !!!

Also the front page of the ad states 16v output, and the technical blurb
states 6v. Which is correct?

Another lump of kit adds on another £43 as well.

Quite expensive for what it does in respect of the OPs needs.

£45 for a 500w inverter off Fleabay does for me.