Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newer cheaper CFLs don't seem to last

I bought a couple of Philips 18W CFLS for I think £3 each last August in
Homebase.
plugged one in on the 22/08/08 and it failed today.. Plugged the other in
and it failed almost immediately..
both boxes say 10 years!!!

I have other CFLs that cost about £9 each about ten years ago and they are
still burning
I might take these two back to Homebase but I'm not sure if I still have
the receipt.. Could be a bad batch..

Anyone else had similar experiences with these cheaper lamps?

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
"Michael Shergold" wrote in message
I bought a couple of Philips 18W CFLS for I think £3 each last August in
Homebase.
plugged one in on the 22/08/08 and it failed today.. Plugged the other in
and it failed almost immediately..
both boxes say 10 years!!!

I have other CFLs that cost about £9 each about ten years ago and they are
still burning
I might take these two back to Homebase but I'm not sure if I still have
the receipt.. Could be a bad batch..

Anyone else had similar experiences with these cheaper lamps?

Michael

Read the box more carefully
If a GLS lamp says 3000 hrs you expect to get, on average
3000hrs of light

If a CFL (like the Tesco one I have here) says "lasts 8 years"
but in smaller print, and in no way referenced to the 8 years,
it says "Average use of 2.7 hours a day"
then, unless the lifetime "clock" stops when it is turned off
this is totally misleading.

Lasts 8 years in the box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Graham.

As is the eco-bollox green mist brigade credo behind the whole concept ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Graham." wrote:
Read the box more carefully
If a GLS lamp says 3000 hrs you expect to get, on average
3000hrs of light

If a CFL (like the Tesco one I have here) says "lasts 8 years"
but in smaller print, and in no way referenced to the 8 years,
it says "Average use of 2.7 hours a day"
then, unless the lifetime "clock" stops when it is turned off
this is totally misleading.

As is the eco-bollox green mist brigade credo behind the whole concept ...

CFLs are fantastic ...

.... for politicians who want to be seen to be doing something about
climate change, when the reality is that they are doing nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:55:53 +0000, Bruce wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Graham." wrote:
Read the box more carefully
If a GLS lamp says 3000 hrs you expect to get, on average
3000hrs of light

If a CFL (like the Tesco one I have here) says "lasts 8 years"
but in smaller print, and in no way referenced to the 8 years,
it says "Average use of 2.7 hours a day"
then, unless the lifetime "clock" stops when it is turned off
this is totally misleading.

As is the eco-bollox green mist brigade credo behind the whole concept ...

CFLs are fantastic ...

... for politicians who want to be seen to be doing something about
climate change, when the reality is that they are doing nothing.

But they are doing something. They have engineered a massive
recession which is the best thing by far for the environment.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Graham." wrote:
Read the box more carefully
If a GLS lamp says 3000 hrs you expect to get, on average
3000hrs of light

If a CFL (like the Tesco one I have here) says "lasts 8 years"
but in smaller print, and in no way referenced to the 8 years,
it says "Average use of 2.7 hours a day"
then, unless the lifetime "clock" stops when it is turned off
this is totally misleading.

As is the eco-bollox green mist brigade credo behind the whole concept

CFLs are fantastic ...

... for politicians who want to be seen to be doing something about
climate change, when the reality is that they are doing nothing.

But they are doing something. They have engineered a massive
recession which is the best thing by far for the environment.

--

Interesting point of view. I saw a similar idea being voiced a few days ago,
as it being a very convenient way of reducing eastern bloc imigration to the

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Graham." wrote:
[...]

Much as I would like to credit someone somewhere with causing all this
deliberately, I fear the answer is far less encouraging. Nature and the
markets have done what governments failed to. by a simple process of
natural feedback.

It is no different from a plague of locusts. At some point people go mad
with greed, and expect something for nothing, expand wildly to the
limits of a resource, and then die in huge numbers horribly leaving a
raped landscape behind..

Exacerbated in this cas by Nu Laber confusing the symptoms with causes.
that e.g. full employment is an indicator of a healthy economy, and
graduate salaries are an indicator of intelligent peoples' greater
utility, with simply giving everyone a degree and a job, and expecting
it to generate a healthy economy and intelligent people.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 07:06:01 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Graham." wrote:
[...]

Indeed. My comment was really meant tongue-in-cheek, rather than a
genuine conspiracy theory. The current financial system is inherently
flawed IMHO to produce boom and bust cycles, fuelled by credit
bubbles. We are just experiencing one of the worst busts for a long
time.

It is no different from a plague of locusts. At some point people go mad
with greed, and expect something for nothing, expand wildly to the
limits of a resource, and then die in huge numbers horribly leaving a
raped landscape behind..

Exacerbated in this cas by Nu Laber confusing the symptoms with causes.
that e.g. full employment is an indicator of a healthy economy, and
graduate salaries are an indicator of intelligent peoples' greater
utility, with simply giving everyone a degree and a job, and expecting
it to generate a healthy economy and intelligent people.

Nulabour generally seem to do the opposite of what is sensible.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]