Ken G.

Default The newer flat PS2 why are they all broken ?

I get these in fairly often and 90% of them wont read any disks . Does
anyone know if there is a general problem with these .
I have had many many of the first PS2 and most of those worked or could
be fixed . I am having no luck wit these flat jobs

Thanks

Michael Kennedy

Check capacitors

Seems like that is always the answer to anything broken : )

I used to tell people they were abusing their ps2's by overheating them
in cramped AV centers or blowing cigarette smoke in them, but I am
slowly beginning to suspect that Sony just makes junky game machines.
After all, what do you do if it breaks? You buy another one. And you
can't blame them for balancing quality with service to maximize profit.
They're a business, and business is not a place for idealists.

Mine crapped out after eleven months. It reads cd's but not dvd's. And
I like to think I take very good care of my gear. I have an original
ps2 that is still rocking like brand new. I have taken it apart once to
blow the dust out of it.

I tried cracking open the new ps2 to look for the laser adjustments and
couldn't find them, so I stuck it on a shelf for a rainy day.

gb

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

Check capacitors

Seems like that is always the answer to anything broken : )

Well reported in IEEE Spectrum 2002 ... and surprise an HP computer that
died (my nephews) had 12 bulging capacitors on the ABIT motherboard that HP
used in this AMD based computer. Both MicroCenter and an HP service center
could not figure it out (2 service trips) - so it sat in their basement -
until I asked about it on my last visit..

How did I diagnose? (eyes and nose - no I am not kidding)
Almost all of the green (Leton) capacitors on the motherboard were bulging
and 3 had actually burst ... while the Panasonic capacitors on the board
were fine.

It was a 4-layer board and after about one hour of bench time (removal of
bad capacitors, clean crude from burst capacitors and install new Panasonic
replacements) -- the computer booted right up and worked fine !
The power supply was okay -- shut down (self protect) when one capacitor had
failed as a short.

Want someone else to repair your board?
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

gb

Flat Roof Fred UK diy 34 January 20th 05 10:58 PM
Removing really stuck flat head screws... Joe Metalworking 43 January 16th 05 01:34 AM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint? Bruce Millar Home Repair 7 April 14th 04 05:56 AM
Preventing leaks in toy balls using Fix a Flat BeyerIII Home Repair 3 April 4th 04 04:26 AM