Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default really effective antkiller

I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I have
found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never have
eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get rid of
the little beggars?

desparate

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get
rid of the little beggars?

Myrmecophaga tridactyla.

Or, in English, a Giant Anteater. Possibly overkill.

Seriously (?), I found the best way to stop ants getting in was to lay
something sticky across the ingress point. I used 2" masking tape laid
sticky side up and held it flat by taping it to the carpet with 1" masking
tape used sticky side down along the edges. It was fascinating to see the
ants 'dipping a toe' before turning round. Only caught 2 or 3 ants as they
seemed to know it was certain death and gave up.

On another occasion when ants started getting in around the kitchen window
I noticed that they avoided a spill of Fairy Liquid. So a dribbled it all
around the window frame and the ants stayed away.

However, I find Nippon powder works for me (great for wasps nests too).

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigGirlsBlouse" wrote in message
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get rid
of the little beggars?

desparate

Nippon liquid killer works well if they are in the dry.
They take it back to the nest and it kills the queen.

I think its just borax and sugar if you want to DIY.

Other than that the liquid sprays like B&Q ant killer work very well but
don't destroy the nest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , BigGirlsBlouse
writes
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get
rid of the little beggars?

The only way I found (when the lawn had a lump a metre in diameter 15cm
tall) was to pour 1/2 litre of cellulose thinners into the entry holes
and set fire to it

Other than that no

The above might not be exactly the best solution indoors ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , BigGirlsBlouse
writes
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get rid
of the little beggars?

The only way I found (when the lawn had a lump a metre in diameter 15cm
tall) was to pour 1/2 litre of cellulose thinners into the entry holes and
set fire to it

Fantastic Maxie, fantastic!

Other than that no

The above might not be exactly the best solution indoors ...

Maxie, do you think a hammer is the best solution indoors?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get
rid of the little beggars?

desparate

Like the poor, they will always be with us.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, FWIW you can now get a nematode that you get through the post. It
comes in a sort of powder which you mix up and pour into nest. The
nematodes then make their way into the ants and kill them. Bit like
Provado but for Ants.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy wrote:

nematodes then make their way into the ants and kill them. Bit like
Provado but for Ants.

Bayer literature makes claims why Provado is better than nematode
treatments, so it seems it is not one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

nematodes then make their way into the ants and kill them. Bit like
Provado but for Ants.

Bayer literature makes claims why Provado is better than nematode
treatments, so it seems it is not one.

The RHS says

"A pathogenic nematode, Steinernema feltiae, is available from some mail
order suppliers of biological controls for treating ant nests in lawns
and flower beds. The microscopic worm-like nematodes are watered into
the soil in places where ants are bringing soil up onto the surface."
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Andy Burns
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

nematodes then make their way into the ants and kill them. Bit like
Provado but for Ants.

Bayer literature makes claims why Provado is better than nematode
treatments, so it seems it is not one.

The RHS says

"A pathogenic nematode, Steinernema feltiae, is available

I'm not denying that there is a nematode available for killing ants (I
searched and found it) but I thought your comparison was saying Provado
was a nematode that killed grubs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get
rid of the little beggars?

We have had ants in the house every year for as long as I can remember.
What I use to get rid of them is a product called 'Ant Bait'. It is a
square box about 50mm per side and about 8mm deep and comes on a card
shrink wrapped.

Their usual point of entry was via the front and back doors, so I put
one of these outside of each door after I had pushed through the entry
points so the ants could get in for the food and take it back to the
nest. Usually, within about 2 weeks the ants were not to be seen. You
might have to replace them after 3 months, as other ants may re-colonise
the old nest.

Another thing I learned from this ng a couple of years ago, is that they
don't like talcum powder and wont cross it.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 23:16:43 UTC, Dave wrote:

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get
rid of the little beggars?

We have had ants in the house every year for as long as I can remember.
What I use to get rid of them is a product called 'Ant Bait'. It is a
square box about 50mm per side and about 8mm deep and comes on a card
shrink wrapped.

I tried this instead of Nippon as it was less messy. For me, it was 100%
ineffective! Probably the wrong kind of ants....

Went back to Nippon...although I like the idea of a pet...a miniature
giant anteater - if you see what I mean!
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get
rid of the little beggars?

We have had ants in the house every year for as long as I can remember.
What I use to get rid of them is a product called 'Ant Bait'. It is a
square box about 50mm per side and about 8mm deep and comes on a card
shrink wrapped.

I tried this instead of Nippon as it was less messy. For me, it was 100%
ineffective! Probably the wrong kind of ants....

Went back to Nippon...although I like the idea of a pet...a miniature
giant anteater - if you see what I mean!

I have heard of the failure of 'ant bait' before. In fact, I think it
was you that said that the last time I advised using the product. But
all I can say is that it works for me :-)

There are variations on this and one is where you load the bait
container with some sort of gell (Nippon?) every few weeks. Once again,
the theory is, they take it back to the nest and kill off the whole
family in a couple of weeks.

I couldn't believe the scattering of talk though. The ants couldn't get
away fast enough :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

I couldn't believe the scattering of talk though. The ants couldn't get
away fast enough :-)

I know what you mean - it often happens to me at parties.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I
have found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never
have eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year..
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get
rid of the little beggars?

We have had ants in the house every year for as long as I can remember.
What I use to get rid of them is a product called 'Ant Bait'. It is a
square box about 50mm per side and about 8mm deep and comes on a card
shrink wrapped.

I tried this instead of Nippon as it was less messy. For me, it was 100%
ineffective! Probably the wrong kind of ants....

Went back to Nippon...although I like the idea of a pet...a miniature
giant anteater - if you see what I mean!
* *http://www.diybanter.com

I found the ants entry point from the back of the house and waited to
discover their route. Then dusted the whole route with nippon powder.
No ants for a few weeks.
One day, I was in a rush for work and a bag of bread open in the
kitchen. When I got home, ants back.
I followed their trail again. This time is was amazing. From the front
of the house airbrick, up though floorboard / skirting gap, along the
edge of the living room, into hall, into kitchen, across room, then
loads on the surface. I noticed a blob of mamalade left there.
I dusted all this route, re-dusted the previous route, and never saw
them again for a year and then I sold the house and moved out.
I also had red ants nests in the lawn, making kind of spongy "mole"
hills. They never came in the house though (ants, not moles !)
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "BigGirlsBlouse"
saying something like:

I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I have
found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never have
eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get rid of
the little beggars?

If out in the garden, a pint of petrol down their nest followed by a
lobbed match. You might find they're coming in from outside and if you
can track them to their nest, use the violent and brutal method.
Obviously that's not too practical indoors, but you can buy borax powder
in bulk for them there and mix it with sugar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "BigGirlsBlouse"
saying something like:

I have had ants in my house over the last 17 years and although when I have
found there way into a room I have put nippon powder down I never have
eradicated them. Every year they return at this time of the year.
Does anyone know of any really effective ant killer to completely get rid of
the little beggars?

If out in the garden, a pint of petrol down their nest followed by a
lobbed match. You might find they're coming in from outside and if you
can track them to their nest, use the violent and brutal method.
Obviously that's not too practical indoors, but you can buy borax powder
in bulk for them there and mix it with sugar.

nah - thinners have denser nastier fumes

--
geoff