Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue for water pipes?

My plumber put in a joint between two different plastic cold water pipes.
(A new section of pipe was needed because I drilled a hole in the pipe.)
The new joint works fine when one pipe is pushed into the joint.

I'm wondering if there is some way of fixing it firmly
before a carped is put down.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 9:30*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My plumber put in a joint between two different plastic cold water pipes.
(A new section of pipe was needed because I drilled a hole in the pipe.)
The new joint works fine when one pipe is pushed into the joint.

Does the joint leak if it the pipe is not pushed? If so, get your
plumber back and ask him to fix it.

I'm wondering if there is some way of fixing it firmly
before a carpet is put down.

Not really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:30:10 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

My plumber put in a joint between two different plastic cold water pipes.
(A new section of pipe was needed because I drilled a hole in the pipe.)
The new joint works fine when one pipe is pushed into the joint.

Wouldn't it work better if both pipes were pushed into the joint, or am I
missing something?

But responding to your subject line, plastics currently used for hot and
cold water supplies can be joined by push-fit or compression fittings, but
are not glue-able. (There were ancient plastic supply pipe systems that
were, but they're very infrequently found and no longer used.)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The astronomer married a star