Default Electric Water Heater Grounded to Copper Water Pipes?

I live in gulfcoast Florida and have been plagued by persistent (1-2
per year) pinhole leaks in the copper pipes in our home (1990). One
interesting aspect is that, so far, all the pinhole leaks have occurred
in cold-water lines. I am not sure what that may indicate, but,
perhaps, someone has an opinion.

I have read many of the posts concerning the many theories for the
causes of this problem, i.e., acicidity, electrical currents,
chemicals, minerals, etc. Regarding possible electrolysis and stray
electrical currents, I installed a new grounding rod on the main
electrical box outside the house (right near where the water line
enters, incidently). However, I noticed that my second-floor electric
water heater is grounded to the copper piping adjacent to the heater.
Having read a lot of posts commenting on the need to isolate electrical
currents from the water system, why would a water heater be grounded to
the water pipes? Does this make sense? Should it be changed?

Any suggestions for diagnosing and/or addressing this pinhole problem
would be appreciated.

Ralph Mowery

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in gulfcoast Florida and have been plagued by persistent (1-2
per year) pinhole leaks in the copper pipes in our home (1990). One
interesting aspect is that, so far, all the pinhole leaks have occurred
in cold-water lines. I am not sure what that may indicate, but,
perhaps, someone has an opinion.

Probably something in the water. A water heater has an anode (think that is
the correct name) in it that is made to be eaten away by the chemicals in
the water. It is a rod of special metel that is usually attached to a pipe
plug that goes into the water of the tank. Saves the tank. By now yours is
probably just about gone.

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The other poster had a good idea changing the anode in the water heater.

All appliances, loads should be grounded to the service by use of an
conductor. Not by using a water pipe. Suggest you run a proper circuit to
the water heater.

Stop guessing and try to find someone who has the equipment that can measure
the ground system. Amec makes a meter for ~$2k. Measures both ohms and
volts. Get a decent VOM meter and start taking some measurements. Sadly
this could get really expensive to find.

John Grabowski

A plumber I see from time to time on different jobs once told me about bad
copper piping coming out of Mexico. He said that on one job that he used
the stuff many pinholes showed up after the system was pressurized. Perhaps
you have crummy pipes. Do your neighbors have similar problems? You could
also have your water tested to see if that is a contributing factor.

Regarding the upstairs water heater being grounded to the water pipe, I
suggest that you leave it alone. It may not be a grounding connection, but
it may be a bonding connection. I doubt that electrical current on your
water pipes is causing the pin holes to develop.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

tacker

Many thanks for your suggestions and those of all others, too. Will
conduct further investigation and implement suggested solutions.
Thanks again.