Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can one get square waste pipe?

I have a clearance problem running a waste pipe between where I want
to put a washing machine and the adjacent wall. I need an extra
couple of cm compared with the existing 40mm waste pipe that's there.

Can one get rectangular waste pipe with adapters to and from 40mm? It
would be a perfect solution for me. It's not a waste pipe that needs
a lot of capacity, it just runs from a cloakroom wash basin.

I can't really chase the pipe into the wall as access is very
difficult.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have a clearance problem running a waste pipe between where I want
to put a washing machine and the adjacent wall. I need an extra
couple of cm compared with the existing 40mm waste pipe that's there.

Can one get rectangular waste pipe with adapters to and from 40mm? It
would be a perfect solution for me. It's not a waste pipe that needs
a lot of capacity, it just runs from a cloakroom wash basin.

I can't really chase the pipe into the wall as access is very
difficult.

There's square mini guttering downpipe, but I forget what the size is.
May be easier to just stay with a lower size of round though, unless
you really have to get your square section up. If you do, a
calculation showing the square downpipe has enough cross section area
should make it allowable as an alternative method of achieving the
same result.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 10:56 am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
After serious thinking wrote :

I have a clearance problem running a waste pipe between where I want
to put a washing machine and the adjacent wall. I need an extra
couple of cm compared with the existing 40mm waste pipe that's there.

Bit of a botch, but could you perhaps take the pipe out and heat up the
middle section enough to crush it into more of an oval shape - yet
leaving the ends round where they connect to fittings?

I was going to suggest that too. I've done that and it works. I used
boiling water to heat the pipe up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
After serious thinking wrote :

I have a clearance problem running a waste pipe between where I want
to put a washing machine and the adjacent wall. I need an extra
couple of cm compared with the existing 40mm waste pipe that's there.

Bit of a botch, but could you perhaps take the pipe out and heat up the
middle section enough to crush it into more of an oval shape - yet
leaving the ends round where they connect to fittings?

I was going to suggest that too. I've done that and it works. I used
boiling water to heat the pipe up.

Yes, I think it's the best option, cue lots of boiling water! Thanks
for the ideas everyone.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
After serious thinking wrote :

I have a clearance problem running a waste pipe between where I want
to put a washing machine and the adjacent wall. I need an extra
couple of cm compared with the existing 40mm waste pipe that's there.

Bit of a botch, but could you perhaps take the pipe out and heat up the
middle section enough to crush it into more of an oval shape - yet
leaving the ends round where they connect to fittings?

I was going to suggest that too. I've done that and it works. I used
boiling water to heat the pipe up.

Yes, I think it's the best option, cue lots of boiling water! Thanks
for the ideas everyone.

For a long pipe the heat gun may be safer than boiling water.
I was just bending a short piece of pipe so that it would fit into a
square pipe, funnily enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

ISTR that the areas don't differ much if the ellipse isn't too pronounced,
but after some searching I haven't found anything on this :-(

The [rough] formula for tha cross-sectional area an ellipse is:

pi * r1 * r2 where r1 is the verticle radius and r2 is the horizontal
radius

(this is simplified and the notation probably isn't standard, but it's near
enough for the purpose here).

Now, it's easy enough to calculate empirically, but when a pipe is squashed
the circumference will stay the same(if it doesn't you've got problems!)
but I don't know what happens to the radii.

No, I don't know either. But I do know that a pipe squashed flat has
zero cross sectional area for carrying water. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:44:10 +0000, Bruce wrote:

PeterC wrote:

ISTR that the areas don't differ much if the ellipse isn't too pronounced,
but after some searching I haven't found anything on this :-(

The [rough] formula for tha cross-sectional area an ellipse is:

pi * r1 * r2 where r1 is the verticle radius and r2 is the horizontal
radius

(this is simplified and the notation probably isn't standard, but it's near
enough for the purpose here).

Now, it's easy enough to calculate empirically, but when a pipe is squashed
the circumference will stay the same(if it doesn't you've got problems!)
but I don't know what happens to the radii.

No, I don't know either. But I do know that a pipe squashed flat has
zero cross sectional area for carrying water. ;-)

That's more an eclipse!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 1:53*pm, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:40:46 +0000, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

Now *that's* not a half bad idea. *It makes the 'engineering'
relatively easy and also means the waste will be reasonably smooth
inside still. *I'v got a few lengths of pristine 40mm so I can
experiment a bit and mistakes wont really matter too much.

Bear in mind that a squashed 40mm pipe will have only a fraction of the
cross sectional area of a circular one, and therefore a much lower water
carrying capacity.

ISTR that the areas don't differ much if the ellipse isn't too pronounced,
but after some searching I haven't found anything on this :-(

The [rough] formula for tha cross-sectional area an ellipse is:

pi * r1 * r2 where r1 is the verticle radius and r2 is the horizontal
radius

(this is simplified and the notation probably isn't standard,
but it's near enough for the purpose here).

I don't think it is simplified you know. A quick google suggests that
the formula is exact (for a perfect ellipse of course).

Now, it's easy enough to calculate empirically, but when a pipe is
squashed the circumference will stay the same(if it doesn't you've
got problems!) but I don't know what happens to the radii.

To a first approximation, their sum stays constant. (That isn't quite
right. For a given circumference C, a circle has r1 = r2 = C/2pi =
r1+r2 = C/pi. A complete flattened tube has r1 = 0, r2 = C/4.

Now C/pi is not the same as C/4 - but it's not a million miles away
either!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

:-)

WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
waste pipe teshaf Home Repair 2 November 20th 06 05:51 PM
waste pipe slope: how much is too much? j probose Home Repair 8 December 23rd 05 01:54 PM
waste pipe into soil pipe? [email protected] UK diy 3 July 26th 05 11:13 AM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM