Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double glazied wondow - handles

I've just looked around a rental property and some (most) of the windows
wouldn't open.

1) "pushing" the button in didn't release the lock and I suggested that this
meant they were broken. The agent suggested that they were locked, but ISTR
that if they are locked the button won't push in - is this right?

2) If they are broken, is there an easy way of removing them without
destroying the window. The lower screw is inaccessible when the handle is
in the closed position.

I assume that there is a standard fitting inside the window for them to
screw into. I have found replacement parts on t' net.
(http://www.handlestore.com/product_list.php?cat_id=6).

The landlord seemed to want to keep his property in good repair and I think
he could be persuaded to fix this problem if it wasn't too costly.

TIA

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
[...]

Some of the windows I have seen, where the button has the key-hole in, have
it the other way round, the button is out when the window is unlocked,
pressing it in (Where it then stays in) locks it.

I would think having opening windows may well be a saftey issue in the case
of a fire, so the landlord may have to fix them if they are broken!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:
[...]

This is not how these particular ones were. Some of the windows work, in
that pushing the button releases the catch and the handle will turn.

Almost none of the handles were fully working, the most common fault being
that the button did not "pop" back out when the handle is returned to the
closed position, and it remained in an unlockable state (but as no key is
provided this isn't really an issue).

I would think having opening windows may well be a saftey issue in the
case of a fire, so the landlord may have to fix them if they are broken!

This is possibly a BR requirement but I have seen lots of houses converted
in a way that breaches this and no-body checks and the penalty is bugger
all. I wonder if the fact that it is a rental means that this is different

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:
[...]

Cut the turning handle off with an angle grinder. Replacement locking
handles are only £6 apx a go. Thats well within negotiation range.

NT

Toilet Handles HeyBub Home Repair 0 November 7th 06 01:56 AM
Toilet Handles Pete C. Home Repair 0 November 6th 06 05:42 PM
installing double-pane windows: double-sided tape separating from window or window-frame Frank Home Repair 1 May 31st 06 05:02 PM
Handles Chris and Patsy Woodturning 7 August 11th 04 09:11 PM
handles Nick Brooks UK diy 7 January 20th 04 05:18 PM