Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default Double glazied wondow - handles

I've just looked around a rental property and some (most) of the windows
wouldn't open.

1) "pushing" the button in didn't release the lock and I suggested that this
meant they were broken. The agent suggested that they were locked, but ISTR
that if they are locked the button won't push in - is this right?

2) If they are broken, is there an easy way of removing them without
destroying the window. The lower screw is inaccessible when the handle is
in the closed position.

I assume that there is a standard fitting inside the window for them to
screw into. I have found replacement parts on t' net.
(http://www.handlestore.com/product_list.php?cat_id=6).

The landlord seemed to want to keep his property in good repair and I think
he could be persuaded to fix this problem if it wasn't too costly.

TIA

tim