Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gas heating not working downstairs

Hi,

I have a gas heated 2 story house. The boiler works by electronic
timer that divides the house into an upstairs and downstairs with a
button for each. All was working well but now only the upstairs
heating is working.

When i hit the boost button for upstairs the boiler kicks in (ie the
flame comes on and it starts making some noise as always).
Newbie...sorry. If i then stop the boost button for upstairs and let
the boiler stop...then hit the boost button for downstairs the boiler
doesnt kick in. The electronic timer looks fine as in the light comes
on etc..

NB There is pressure in the pressure reader on the boiler as obviously
upstairs works fine.

Thanks...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb, 22:14, kieran5405 wrote:
Hi,

I have a gas heated 2 story house. The boiler works by electronic
timer that divides the house into an upstairs and downstairs with a
button for each. All was working well but now only the upstairs
heating is working.

When i hit the boost button for upstairs the boiler kicks in (ie the
flame comes on and it starts making some noise as always).
Newbie...sorry. If i then stop the boost button for upstairs and let
the boiler stop...then hit the boost button for downstairs the boiler
doesnt kick in. The electronic timer looks fine as in the light comes
on etc..

NB There is pressure in the pressure reader on the boiler as obviously
upstairs works fine.

Thanks...

Your system is most likely separated with 2 two port valves, the one
which regulates the downstairs might have stuck.

On the 2 port valve there is a little lever on the side, try pushing
this to manual position and see if it works.The heating won't cut off
though if it is left in the manual position.

http://www.ridgeonsukstoreonline.com...H1800067_m.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cheers for that.

but i cant seem to see something like you mentioned.

where would this usually be...would it be beside the boiler
downstairs??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In case this is of any use...the gas system boiler is a Vokera Mynute
16e...i.e. this is a large white box which has the pressure guage on
it. Would the regulator be inside the box...theres a panel you can
screw off. I cant seem to see anything else around the box/boiler
that would do anything.

Thanks...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

After more examination, I found the plumping valve for downstairs
(myson power extra mpe222). I found the manual override switch on the
side and when i moved this to the manual position...then the
downstairs radiators stated to heat up.

Does this mean that the myson unit just needs to be replaced...or can
it be an indication of some other problem. How long do these units
usually last...the house is about 4 years old.

Thanks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

kieran5405 wrote:
In case this is of any use...the gas system boiler is a Vokera Mynute
16e...i.e. this is a large white box which has the pressure guage on
it. Would the regulator be inside the box...theres a panel you can
screw off. I cant seem to see anything else around the box/boiler
that would do anything.

The valves are not going to be in the boiler. They are often placed in
airing cupboards, or perhaps in the loft space. How is your hot water
heated? If that is also heated by the boiler then there will probably be
a zone valve controlling that as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

kieran5405 wrote:

After more examination, I found the plumping valve for downstairs
(myson power extra mpe222). I found the manual override switch on the
side and when i moved this to the manual position...then the
downstairs radiators stated to heat up.

Does this mean that the myson unit just needs to be replaced...or can
it be an indication of some other problem. How long do these units
usually last...the house is about 4 years old.

Do you have the necessary knowledge and equipment to check whether power
is getting to the valve? If you can confirm that it's getting power
when it should, then I believe the actuator can be removed without
disturbing the wet side at all, and you can then either have a go at
repairing it or replace it. Google "myson mpe222 actuator" and you'll
find a supplier. It may use even use a common type of synchronous motor
as sold, for instance, by Screwfix.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

kieran5405 wrote:

Hi,

After more examination, I found the plumping valve for downstairs
(myson power extra mpe222). I found the manual override switch on the
side and when i moved this to the manual position...then the
downstairs radiators stated to heat up.

Does this mean that the myson unit just needs to be replaced...or can
it be an indication of some other problem. How long do these units
usually last...the house is about 4 years old.

Thanks...

The way these things work is that the timer and room stat open the valve
and, once the valve is open, auxilliary contacts in the valve actuator close
and tell the boiler to fire.

For some reason your valve isn't opening when it should. There are lots of
possible causes for this, and some investigation is required in order to
find the actual cause. The most likely causes are a failed motor in the
actuator or the 'wet' part of the valve partially seizing - making it too
stiff for the (not very powerful) actualtor motor to move. Other possible
causes are a failed room stat or a discontinuity in the wiring between
timer/stat/valve.

When you operated the over-ride, did the downstairs radiators get warm
*without* the upsdtairs ones being on, or only when they were on?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheers for all help.

As regards the room stat - its the 1 room stat that controls 3 areas -
upstairs, downstairs and the water. So there are 3 different boost
buttons - one for each area. Since the water and downstairs boost
buttons on the stat both fire up the boiler and start the heating...it
would seem to me that the room stat controller is not the problem.
Does that sound right?

When I turn on the downstairs boost button and I look at the
downstairs valve unit - the red power light comes on on the side of
the valve unit. Would this mean that power is definitely getting to
the valve?

When I operated the override - the downstairs rads did get warm
without the upstairs ones been on.

I have looked in google at the actuator - can i change the actuator by
just unscrewing the screws and replacing...or does water or something
have to be turned off. I am a very newbie...sorry.

Thanks...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kieran5405" wrote in message

Cheers for all help.

As regards the room stat - its the 1 room stat that controls 3 areas -
upstairs, downstairs and the water. So there are 3 different boost
buttons - one for each area. Since the water and downstairs boost
buttons on the stat both fire up the boiler and start the heating...it
would seem to me that the room stat controller is not the problem.
Does that sound right?

That's unlikely to be room stat, it's the programmer.

The stat will be elsewhere downstairs with a temperature dial. And there
will be another (probably the same make/model) upstairs. And another on the
cylinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

kieran5405 wrote:

Cheers for all help.

As regards the room stat - its the 1 room stat that controls 3 areas -
upstairs, downstairs and the water. So there are 3 different boost
buttons - one for each area. Since the water and downstairs boost
buttons on the stat both fire up the boiler and start the heating...it
would seem to me that the room stat controller is not the problem.
Does that sound right?

Something doesn't sound right! The unit you describe sounds like just a
3-channel timer rather than a thermostat - unless there are 3 remote sensors
connected to it. For example, to control the hot water, you need a
thermostat (or at least a sensor) strapped to the HW cylinder so that it can
shut the HW valve - and, in turn, stop the boiler - when the water is hot
enough. Are you sure that there isn't a cylinder stat plus two room stats on
the walls - one upstairs and one down?

When I turn on the downstairs boost button and I look at the
downstairs valve unit - the red power light comes on on the side of
the valve unit. Would this mean that power is definitely getting to
the valve?

Sounds promising.

When I operated the override - the downstairs rads did get warm
without the upstairs ones been on.

By over-ride, you mean a lever which you move to open the valve - and you
can feel/hear the gears whirling as you do so? Can you hear it closing again
when you unlatch the lever? If so, it's almost certainly a failed motor in
the actuator.

I have looked in google at the actuator - can i change the actuator by
just unscrewing the screws and replacing...or does water or something
have to be turned off. I am a very newbie...sorry.

I'm not familiar with this particular valve/actuator - but most modern
valves have actuators which can be removed and replaced - just by undoing a
couple of screws - without spilling any water. If you *do* replace it, make
a careful note of the electrical connections and connect the new one's wires
exactly like the old one - colour for colour.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry i was describing the programmer rather than the stat. There is
a stat upstairs and downstairs.

By over-ride, you mean a lever which you move to open the valve - and
you
can feel/hear the gears whirling as you do so? Can you hear it closing
again
when you unlatch the lever? If so, it's almost certainly a failed
motor in
the actuator.

Yes this is how it works...so it does seem to be the actuator.

From looking on the web, I think it isnt too hard to change the
actuator -
http://www.myson.ie/pdf/MPE222.pdf

So I'll go out to hardware shop and see if i can get an actuator and
take a shot at changing it. Hopefully that will be the problem...as
it seems to be this or the stat.

Is there some easy way to check whether it could be the stat?

Thanks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

kieran5405 wrote:

Sorry i was describing the programmer rather than the stat. There is
a stat upstairs and downstairs.

By over-ride, you mean a lever which you move to open the valve - and
you
can feel/hear the gears whirling as you do so? Can you hear it closing
again
when you unlatch the lever? If so, it's almost certainly a failed
motor in
the actuator.

Yes this is how it works...so it does seem to be the actuator.

From looking on the web, I think it isnt too hard to change the
actuator -
http://www.myson.ie/pdf/MPE222.pdf

Yes, it's pretty straight-forward.

So I'll go out to hardware shop and see if i can get an actuator and
take a shot at changing it. Hopefully that will be the problem...as
it seems to be this or the stat.

I doubt whether you'll get one at a hardware shop or DIY shed - a plumbers
merchant would be a better bet.

Is there some easy way to check whether it could be the stat?

Yes, if you can check that the valve's brown wire is at mains voltage
relative to the blue wire when the valve should be open. If it is, the stat
is ok. The fact that the neon comes on suggests that mains is getting
through to the valve ok. [The document you cited says that the neon comes on
when the valve is open - but my guess is that it comes on when the valve is
*told* to open, even if it doesn't!].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Feb, 10:36, kieran5405 wrote:
Hi,

After more examination, I found the plumping valve for downstairs
(myson power extra mpe222). I found the manual override switch on the
side and when i moved this to the manual position...then the
downstairs radiators stated to heat up.

Does this mean that the myson unit just needs to be replaced...or can
it be an indication of some other problem. How long do these units
usually last...the house is about 4 years old.

Thanks...

Sorry for making you discover the valves yourself.... I went to sleep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all help...I replaced the actuator, wired it up, said a
prayer...and all worked!!!

In case this is of any help to anyone else...
This actuator was very easy to replace. Two screws hold it to the
pipe which controls letting the hot water in by whats called a
spindle. The actuator screws easily off as one unit and is connected
to the power by 4 wires. Its best to take digital photo of how these
wires are connected (my newbie tip) or note in detail how they are
connected. Turn off all power in house (my other newbie tip), remove
old actuator wires...then wire up ur new actuator and attach to pipe
by placing carefully over the spindle. Then turn on heat!

Thanks again...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

kieran5405 wrote:

Thanks for all help...I replaced the actuator, wired it up, said a
prayer...and all worked!!!

In case this is of any help to anyone else...
This actuator was very easy to replace. Two screws hold it to the
pipe which controls letting the hot water in by whats called a
spindle. The actuator screws easily off as one unit and is connected
to the power by 4 wires. Its best to take digital photo of how these
wires are connected (my newbie tip) or note in detail how they are
connected. Turn off all power in house (my other newbie tip), remove
old actuator wires...then wire up ur new actuator and attach to pipe
by placing carefully over the spindle. Then turn on heat!

Thanks again...

Good. Glad it's working again.

Whilst turning off all power is a reasonable precaution if you don't know
exactly the heating is powered, it shouldn't normally be necessary - and
might have undesirable effects on other equipment (computers, clocks, video
recorders, etc.) which don't like losing their power supply.

The heating *should* be powered through a dedicated FCU (fused connection
unit) spurred of one of the ring mains. Turning that off will isolate the
system - boiler, pump, programmer, zone valves, etc. - without affecting
anything else.

[Mine's actually fed via a 13A plug so that I can plug it into a generator
in the event of a lengthy power cut].
--
Cheers,
Roger