Junior Member

Default Microbore system - most new rads downstairs not working

Hope someone can help! We've just had five new rads fitted to our system. Two in upstairs bedrooms, the other three downstairs (where there were two already fitted).

Prior to these changes, all rads worked.

Now, all upstairs work, and only one of those downstairs. This is the one in the kitchen closest to where our original boiler was located (this was replaced in the summer with a new Glow-worm boiler now housed in the loft).

It's a microbore system. Our installer put "Corrosion Guard Fast Cleanse" in the boiler a week ago and suggested we shut them off upstairs and put heating on full to force through whatever is blocking. This didn't work, and actually made the boiler trip out through over heating.

Our installer is now solid booked through to March, so we need to find a way to solve the problem.

Google searches have revealed that powerflushing is an option, but at £400 is an expensive one. The other option suggested is to replace the piping down to the downstairs rads thus bypassing any blockage.

Unfortunately, it's pretty cold at the moment, and I'm really not sure what to do next! Can anyone offer any advice please?!

Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Thanks

"qprfact" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah get back on to the company that fitted them and get them back out
pronto. Just because they are fully booked till March doesn't mean they just
disregard their customers complaints.

How long did the radiators work for after they had been installed? Was
everything working when tested?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

A reputable company should have power flushed your system when fitting
the boiler. It sounds like this wasn't done.
The first point is to get the installers back. If they won't play ball,
try trading standards, citezens advice bereau or a solicitors letter.
If you do it yourself, you could try the various system cleaners
available from the sheds. I've never tried them but similar products in
cars have never worked for me. The other possibility is to flush the
system with cold mains water. That will need the system opening up for
supply and drain connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
qprfact

It's not a case of the installer being fully booked but more that he
now has your money so you're at the back of the queue. Tell him you're
going to be seeking compensation unless he gets his backside round
there pronto to fix it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

John wrote:
The first point is to get the installers back. If they won't play ball,
try trading standards, citezens advice bereau or a solicitors letter.
If you do it yourself, you could try the various system cleaners
available from the sheds. I've never tried them but similar products in
cars have never worked for me. The other possibility is to flush the
system with cold mains water. That will need the system opening up for
supply and drain connections.

You can also hire the kit for power-flushing; however, not your problem
- as everyone else says: get the installers back to sort it.

David

Junior Member

I think the problem I have is the chap has been paid and so there's not much incentive for him to return!

He's working privately, so there's no company behind him to go for either.

Anyone know any good reputable plumbers in the Southend area?!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

qprfact wrote:
I think the problem I have is the chap has been paid and so there's not
much incentive for him to return!

Doesn't stop you from suing him in the small claims court though, if you
have to employ someone else to fix his mess; and hopefully the realistic
threat of that happening will bring him round?

David