Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waste permits/regulations for tradespeople?

Anyone know what the position is with regard to registering or getting a
waste permit or whatever one needs to do? I keep hearing horror stories
about the Environment Agency having draconian powers to sieze the vans
of tradespeople carrying any sort of waste without a permit. Googling for
info I find NetRegs - "Do you need an environmental permit?"
http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/95559.aspx only talks about storing
or processing waste, not transporting it, which I suspect may be where the
necessity for a permit comes in.

The sort of waste I'm talking about is plumbing offcuts and old
copper, brassware, lead and steel for recycling; plastics, wood, cardboard,
maybe old tiles and bits of plasterboard & stuff like that which I might
take away from a job (some of it inside my vacuum cleaner!) rather than
leaving for the householder to dispose of, that sort of thing.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

A stitch in time saves nine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
[...]

Some info here mate, but like all Guvmint legislation its not in English as
she is spoke
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...9363672&r.s=sc

I leave everything with the client, having specified thats what I will be
doing in advance. Ring your local council.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:

Anyone know what the position is with regard to registering or getting a
waste permit or whatever one needs to do? I keep hearing horror stories
about the Environment Agency having draconian powers to sieze the vans
of tradespeople carrying any sort of waste without a permit. Googling for
info I find NetRegs - "Do you need an environmental permit?"
http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/95559.aspx only talks about storing
or processing waste, not transporting it, which I suspect may be where the
necessity for a permit comes in.

I went into this in some depth last year. In the end, I didnt bother
with the Waste Transfer Licence.
To carry ANY waste away from a job, you need the Waste Transfer Licence.
This costs £140 for 3 years (may have gone up since).
You then need to register at your local tip, or, a private tip that will
allow you to drop stuff off (for a fee of course).
The local tip wanted a minimal admin fee to register (£5 or so), then,
the killer, they wanted £70 per tonne to dump there. Minimum of half a
tonne charge. So, £35 to drop 4 or 5 bags of rubbish off.

You can see why there is so much fly-tipping, as they make it so
expensive to legally dump stuff.
I had a debate with one of the Council workers about this ridiculous
charge of £35 to drop a few things off, they werent interested, and just
gave the usual talk, that if you are caught carrying waste, then you
will be fined etc.

The sort of waste I'm talking about is plumbing offcuts and old
copper, brassware, lead and steel for recycling; plastics, wood, cardboard,
maybe old tiles and bits of plasterboard & stuff like that which I might
take away from a job (some of it inside my vacuum cleaner!) rather than
leaving for the householder to dispose of, that sort of thing.

You do collect your scrap for weighing in?
Anything else, either ask the customer to get rid of it, or take your
car round to pick it up another time, as cars are never stopped in
random Council checks.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:58:58 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

YAPH wrote:
[...]

That just passes the buck (the duty of care) to the customer as they have
a duty of care to dispose of your waste (which they wouldn't if it were
their own). Actually doing the self-assessment -

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...cId=1079438165

- it doesn't seem too bad:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""

You have a responsibility to ensure that any waste you produce is handled
safely and within the law. This is your duty of care.

You must check that anyone that you pass your waste on to is authorised to
take it.

You could save your business money by reducing the amount of waste that
you produce. Recycling your waste will also improve your environmental
performance.

You must make sure that any waste electrical or electronic equipment is
treated, recycled or disposed of in an environmentally sound way.

You might need a waste management licence or a registered exemption.

As you do not carry out any waste activities other than disposing of your
own waste, you do not require a waste management licence.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""

So there you have it: I don't need a waste management licence. Or maybe I
do. Well I'm glad that's cleared up.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:

As you do not carry out any waste activities other than disposing of your
own waste, you do not require a waste management licence.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""

So there you have it: I don't need a waste management licence. Or maybe I
do. Well I'm glad that's cleared up.

You still need a licence to convey it and I don't believe there are
exemptions for builders' waste as there are for other trades.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:21:11 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

You do collect your scrap for weighing in?

Yup, that's most of the "waste" that I might be carrying.

Anything else, either ask the customer to get rid of it, or take your
car round to pick it up another time, as cars are never stopped in
random Council checks.

Apart from cardboard and plastic wrappers from new stuff I've installed
it's likely to be sweepings from the floor in a dustpan or bucket or
whetever's inside the vac. Occasionally it might be a rubble-bagfull.
Mostly it goes in the customer's own wheelie bin, failing that mine. From
now on it's in theirs :-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

87.5% of statistics are made up
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:21:11 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

You do collect your scrap for weighing in?

Yup, that's most of the "waste" that I might be carrying.

Anything else, either ask the customer to get rid of it, or take your
car round to pick it up another time, as cars are never stopped in
random Council checks.

Apart from cardboard and plastic wrappers from new stuff I've installed
it's likely to be sweepings from the floor in a dustpan or bucket or
whetever's inside the vac. Occasionally it might be a rubble-bagfull.
Mostly it goes in the customer's own wheelie bin, failing that mine. From
now on it's in theirs :-)

A lot of trades people just leave it with the homeowner to chuck in the bin
these days.
Otherwise they save it up until they have a full load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-02-22, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

I leave everything with the client, having specified thats what I will be
doing in advance.

Not getting at you personally, but I always specify that tradespeople
remove their own waste.

But if that waste was previously part of a building etc. then it is not the
tradesperson's property, it belongs to the householder, so it is not the
tradesperson's waste, it is the householders. Removing anything without
permission from someone's property could be classed as theft, especially if
it had a value, like an old copper hot water tank. Obviously, if someone
asks the tradespersons to remove any waste after completing their work, they
are then giving them permission to remove the customer's waste, which is a
different matter..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-02-22, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

[...]

Is there much call for hair splitting round your way?

Not much, it has all been pulled out ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-02-22, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

I leave everything with the client, having specified thats what I
will be doing in advance.

Not getting at you personally, but I always specify that tradespeople
remove their own waste.

I'd very much like to offer it as a service to clients, but apart from not
wanting to get a permit, they won't let my van into the normal tip because
(a) its a van & (b) it won't fit under the height barrier. And according to
the councils website we don't have a commercial or trade tip.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
[...]

With stuff like this, it would be almost imposible for anyone to get a
successful prosecution against you - the metals and cardboard and wood are
going to be recycled, while the tile and plasterboard fragments are to be
used as hard core underneath your patio at home.

I have never heard of anyone obtaining one of these permits, nor of anyone
being prosecuted for carrying normal trade waste.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:07:34 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd very much like to offer it as a service to clients, but apart from
not wanting to get a permit, they won't let my van into the normal tip
because (a) its a van & (b) it won't fit under the height barrier. And
according to the councils website we don't have a commercial or trade
tip.

When I used to do bathrooms I often used to get a Hippobag for waste.
Maybe that's something you could offer your clients where there's a lot of
stuff to get rid of? You could supply the bag (c. £7 last time I looked)
and they could pay to have it taken away, having added anything of theirs
to it that they wanted.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Procrastinate now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:07:34 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd very much like to offer it as a service to clients, but apart from
not wanting to get a permit, they won't let my van into the normal tip
because (a) its a van

Vans are banned from our "Household Waste Recycling Centre" unless the
owner has a permit then they can use it. Similarly twin axle (or more)
trailers or trailers over 3m overall length are banned without a permit.

& (b) it won't fit under the height barrier.

IIRC you don't have a particulary tall van, a Berlingo? Seems that I
wouldn't get into your tip in my car (6'6" clearance required).

And according to the councils website we don't have a commercial or
trade tip.

Seems a bit odd. What does the site say about waste transfer licences?
Where can a licence holder transfer the waste to?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:07:34 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd very much like to offer it as a service to clients, but apart from
not wanting to get a permit, they won't let my van into the normal tip
because (a) its a van & (b) it won't fit under the height barrier. And
according to the councils website we don't have a commercial or trade
tip.

When I used to do bathrooms I often used to get a Hippobag for waste.
Maybe that's something you could offer your clients where there's a lot of
stuff to get rid of? You could supply the bag (c. £7 last time I looked)
and they could pay to have it taken away, having added anything of theirs
to it that they wanted.

50 quid to get it taken away...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:07:34 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd very much like to offer it as a service to clients, but apart
from not wanting to get a permit, they won't let my van into the
normal tip because (a) its a van

Vans are banned from our "Household Waste Recycling Centre" unless the
owner has a permit then they can use it. Similarly twin axle (or more)
trailers or trailers over 3m overall length are banned without a
permit.

& (b) it won't fit under the height barrier.

IIRC you don't have a particulary tall van, a Berlingo? Seems that I
wouldn't get into your tip in my car (6'6" clearance required).

Kangoo. I permanently have a ladder on the roof bars & the clamps protrude
over 6'6". Don't ask how I know :-)

And according to the councils website we don't have a commercial or
trade tip.

Seems a bit odd. What does the site say about waste transfer licences?
Where can a licence holder transfer the waste to?

Dunno, the site is predominantly gibberish, but search as I might I can't
find an address.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
YAPH wrote:
[...]

Papercrete can have a huge variety of garbage in it, so most waste
could in fact be raw materials for an experiment with papercrete.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:07:34 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd very much like to offer it as a service to clients, but apart from
not wanting to get a permit, they won't let my van into the normal tip
because (a) its a van & (b) it won't fit under the height barrier. And
according to the councils website we don't have a commercial or trade
tip.

When I used to do bathrooms I often used to get a Hippobag for waste.
Maybe that's something you could offer your clients where there's a lot of
stuff to get rid of? You could supply the bag (c. £7 last time I looked)
and they could pay to have it taken away, having added anything of theirs
to it that they wanted.

Given the price of having the bags removed (i.e. not far off the price
of a mini skip), it might be worth opening a trade account with a local
skip firm. If you can get preferential prices and treatment from them,
then you could simply resell skips of whatever size (and perhaps make a
small profit on into the bargain).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:34:52 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:07:34 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd very much like to offer it as a service to clients, but apart from
not wanting to get a permit, they won't let my van into the normal tip
because (a) its a van

Vans are banned from our "Household Waste Recycling Centre" unless the
owner has a permit then they can use it. Similarly twin axle (or more)
trailers or trailers over 3m overall length are banned without a permit.

& (b) it won't fit under the height barrier.

IIRC you don't have a particulary tall van, a Berlingo? Seems that I
wouldn't get into your tip in my car (6'6" clearance required).

And according to the councils website we don't have a commercial or
trade tip.

Seems a bit odd. What does the site say about waste transfer licences?
Where can a licence holder transfer the waste to?

Our local 'tip' has a 5'8" height restriction.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:03:41 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Ouch - I couldn't ride me bike in there without ducking!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:

Anyone know what the position is with regard to registering or getting a
waste permit or whatever one needs to do?

Yes, I'd say the position is that the concerns of tradespeople have ****
all to do with DIY.