Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default those high powered flashlights (Halogen?)

I have one with 1 million power rating.
Since it only keeps a charge for 10 minutes or so (it is getting on a
bit) I have tried to replace the bulb with one from a lower rated one.
It was not possible to order one from Maplins and I was led to believe
you can't get them.
I managed to scavenge one from the recycling centre.I It was from a
500,000 rated spotlight.
I could see that the bulb was more or less identical and so I switched
it.
At first it worked but when I reassembled it ,it stopped working.
I thought I could have blown the bulb but the previous bulb now would
not work either.
Have I blown the circuit or is it harder to reassemble than I
expected?
I had to get the old bulb out by bending the casing with pliers and
the paper clip shaped object that was there before doesn't seem to
want to fit in and hold the bulb in place (but that shouldn't be the
problem as the bulb was working at first just lying loosely in the
casing -but won't now)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 5:15 am, mary wrote:

At first it worked but when I reassembled it ,it stopped working.

I have one with a "sealed" lead acid battery which suddenly stopped
lighting the bulb even though a meter indicated that there was more
than 6 volts at the bulb contacts. When the bulb was inserted the
voltage dropped to almost nothing.
I prised out the rubber plugs on the battery and added distilled
water. It seemed to soak up a lot - I had to add water about 10 times
using an eyedropper.
I then charged it and the torch runs perfectly again.
Leave the plugs out of the battery when charging it the first time
after adding water, or else the plugs will shoot into the air and
disappear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Matty F wrote:
I have one with a "sealed" lead acid battery which suddenly stopped
lighting the bulb even though a meter indicated that there was more
than 6 volts at the bulb contacts. When the bulb was inserted the
voltage dropped to almost nothing.
I prised out the rubber plugs on the battery and added distilled
water. It seemed to soak up a lot - I had to add water about 10 times
using an eyedropper.

Most use genuine SLA which use a gel for the electrolyte.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 11:32 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
Matty F wrote:

I have one with a "sealed" lead acid battery which suddenly stopped
lighting the bulb even though a meter indicated that there was more
than 6 volts at the bulb contacts. When the bulb was inserted the
voltage dropped to almost nothing.
I prised out the rubber plugs on the battery and added distilled
water. It seemed to soak up a lot - I had to add water about 10 times
using an eyedropper.

Most use genuine SLA which use a gel for the electrolyte.

Being a torch it has to work with the battery upside down. Mine is
bound to have had gel in it, but it's dried up.over the years. The
water has soaked into a spongy material in the battery and there is
now no free liquid.