Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default those high powered flashlights (Halogen?)

On Feb 22, 11:32 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
Matty F wrote:

I have one with a "sealed" lead acid battery which suddenly stopped
lighting the bulb even though a meter indicated that there was more
than 6 volts at the bulb contacts. When the bulb was inserted the
voltage dropped to almost nothing.
I prised out the rubber plugs on the battery and added distilled
water. It seemed to soak up a lot - I had to add water about 10 times
using an eyedropper.

Most use genuine SLA which use a gel for the electrolyte.

Being a torch it has to work with the battery upside down. Mine is
bound to have had gel in it, but it's dried up.over the years. The
water has soaked into a spongy material in the battery and there is
now no free liquid.