Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leakage from overflow but only qhen boiler is running ?

Basic system details:
Conventional gas boiler on ground floor, fully pumped system. Cold water &
expansion tanks in loft.
42" cylinder with immersion and tank stat upstairs. This cylinder new in May
2008.
Pump, motorised valves to DHW & CH circuits.
1 room stat.
Upstairs heating on separate zone, switched manually as req'd.

Just in the last few days I am getting water coming out of the tank overflow
pipes.
This only happens when the boiler is running.
Turn off the boiler and the overflow stops in a short while.
Turn boiler on and the overflow starts again in a short while.
The system has previously worked faultlessly for some years with
annual servicing and routine repairs as required. It has not had any
modification/repair since May 08 when new HW cyl fitted.

Last night I shut everything down and on return home this evening no
apparent leakage.
Switch boiler on and within 15 mins it is overflowing again.

The pump is working and is on minimum setting, so I don't think it is
overpumping.
The motorised valves and stats seem to be working correctly.
I don't think it is a ballcock failing or the HW cylinder failing as there
has been no leakage in 24 hrs with the system turned off.
I have not yet checked the loft tanks but the leakage appears to come from
the CH expansion tank.
(crawl space only and I'm feeling my age right now)

I can't fathom what the problem might be.

Any ideas please?

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

Just in the last few days I am getting water coming out of the tank overflow
pipes.
This only happens when the boiler is running.

Overflowing how much?

As the system heats up the water expands, so a constant very slow leak
could look as if it is only overflowing while the boiler is running.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 8:42*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
Nick wrote:

Just in the last few days I am getting water coming out of the tank overflow
pipes.
This only happens when the boiler is running.

Overflowing how much?

As the system heats up the water expands, so a constant very slow leak
could look as if it is only overflowing while the boiler is running.

Andy

I suggest that the rubber seal in the ball valve in the CH header tank
needs replacing. As it wears down the maintained level rises and
maybe is now only just below the overflow when cold. As soon as the
system warms up, the expanded water raises the level in the tank a
little and it trickles out of the overflow. When it cools and the
level falls the ball valve tops it up again.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
I suggest that the rubber seal in the ball valve in the CH header tank
needs replacing. As it wears down the maintained level rises and
maybe is now only just below the overflow when cold. As soon as the
system warms up, the expanded water raises the level in the tank a
little and it trickles out of the overflow. When it cools and the
level falls the ball valve tops it up again.

That was my first thought when mine did it. Then the fibre washer. then...

It took disconnecting the inlet completely to persuade me I needed a new
cylinder!

Andy