Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brands - interesting

Google search to check on the type of shampoo to use in a VAX found the
http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands site.

Interested to see that;

Milwaukee
AEG
Ryobi
Homelite
Hoover
Dirt Devil
VAX

Are all owned by the same group.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Google search to check on the type of shampoo to use in a VAX found the
http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands site.

Interested to see that;

Milwaukee
AEG
Ryobi
Homelite
Hoover
Dirt Devil
VAX

Are all owned by the same group.

Owned, or distributed by?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Feb, 00:33, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Google search to check on the type of shampoo to use in a VAX found thehttp://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brandssite.

Interested to see that;

Milwaukee
AEG
Ryobi
Homelite
Hoover
Dirt Devil
VAX

Are all owned by the same group.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I knew about the vacuum cleaner companies.

What I have noticed that all the US products made by Hoover are now
available in the UK only that there have the Vax name on it.

Example is the Hoover wind tunnel and the Vax Oasis carpet washer
which where only available in US under the Hoover name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Google search to check on the type of shampoo to use in a VAX found
thehttp://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brandssite.

Interested to see that;

Milwaukee
AEG
Ryobi
Homelite
Hoover
Dirt Devil
VAX

Are all owned by the same group.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I knew about the vacuum cleaner companies.

What I have noticed that all the US products made by Hoover are now
available in the UK only that there have the Vax name on it.

Example is the Hoover wind tunnel and the Vax Oasis carpet washer
which where only available in US under the Hoover name.

All evidence of a global manufacturing and supply chain. Something that
British Industry failed to exploit when we had a manufacturing industry
("What make something for 110 volts!!")

What is a brand nowadays? My Asda £3.00 kettle has the same element as the
Russell Hobbs branded on which preceded it. Places like Comet get British
sounding names put on things (Bush, etc) to make us thing we are buying a
British Brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:11:14 -0000, John wrote:

What is a brand nowadays? My Asda £3.00 kettle has the same element as the
Russell Hobbs branded on which preceded it. Places like Comet get British
sounding names put on things (Bush, etc) to make us thing we are buying a
British Brand.

About 17 years ago I saw the asian cycle manufacturers' dogalogue: Weinmann
and GB brakes, Union Flag stickers (some with 'Made in England' on)...
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
All evidence of a global manufacturing and supply chain. Something that
British Industry failed to exploit when we had a manufacturing industry
("What make something for 110 volts!!")

Many UK Hi-Fi etc goods of the '50s and '60s etc were dual voltage -
whereas US ones were 110 only.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
wrote

Places like Comet get British
sounding names put on things (Bush, etc) to make us thing we are buying a
British Brand.

Not at Comet The Bush and Alba brand names have recently been
purchased by Argos so that they can brand no-name, made in China,
electrical and electronic goods with a familiar name.

Many of the well known 'British' Hi-fi speakers brands are Chinese
owned and the speakers probably made in the factory

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , John
wrote

Places like Comet get British
sounding names put on things (Bush, etc) to make us thing we are buying a
British Brand.

Not at Comet The Bush and Alba brand names have recently been
purchased by Argos so that they can brand no-name, made in China,
electrical and electronic goods with a familiar name.

Bush and Alba have been like that for years haven't they?

Of course Currys/Dixons went the other way with the Matsui + Saisho names.
Though my experiences with Matsui videos have always been positive, whereas
I'd not touch Bush and Alba kit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:36:57 -0000 Clive George wrote :
Of course Currys/Dixons went the other way with the Matsui +
Saisho names. Though my experiences with Matsui videos have
always been positive, whereas I'd not touch Bush and Alba kit.

Matsui and Saisho (and Hinari) I always took to be cheap tat,
whether fair or not. And I wouldn't have bought anything
labelled Bush or Alba either. But IIRC Goodmans and Wharfedale
also have gone the same way although they were once reputable
makes, but my mind never quite caught up with this.

On moving here to Australia I had to start again with
electricals and stuck to the quality makes (Sony, Panasonic)
even if I was paying more for the badge.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:36:57 -0000 Clive George wrote :
Of course Currys/Dixons went the other way with the Matsui +
Saisho names. Though my experiences with Matsui videos have
always been positive, whereas I'd not touch Bush and Alba kit.

Matsui and Saisho (and Hinari) I always took to be cheap tat,
whether fair or not. And I wouldn't have bought anything
labelled Bush or Alba either. But IIRC Goodmans and Wharfedale
also have gone the same way although they were once reputable
makes, but my mind never quite caught up with this.

On moving here to Australia I had to start again with
electricals and stuck to the quality makes (Sony, Panasonic)
even if I was paying more for the badge.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

The conclusion being that "Brand" has nothing to do with "Manufacturer"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
wrote

The conclusion being that "Brand" has nothing to do with "Manufacturer"

It is not unknown for a manufacturer to buy in third party goods and
re-brand them as their own.

A recent example of the use of branding to sell to different markets is
with the Freesat boxes. You can buy a Humax box, a Bush box, a Goodmans
box or a Grundig box. Each has a different price tag. Three of the
boxes are however exactly the same design, the same electronics, the
same software and come from the same assembly line. The only difference
being the logo on the box and in the handbook. You can also tell by the
time and date of publication that it took someone around 15 minutes to
re-brand the instruction manual. (By the way, the Humax box is the odd
one out).

Even 15/20 years ago a common VCR chassis was sold with up-market and
budget end of the market branding for different prices.

These days a brand name doesn't mean much but nor does a manufactures
name. Judge each individual piece of equipment on its own merits. Even
if a manufacturer has a range of goods it doesn't mean that each one in
the range shares the same parentage or technology.