Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen floor tiles

In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on
the kitchen and dining room floors.

We went out to look for tiles today (in Cardiff). Apparently, they're
very hard to get now - all the quarries closed down. It seems a shame
that instead of a perfectly attractive local product, now the decent
tiles have to come all the way from mainland Europe.

That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened)
terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on
the kitchen and dining room floors.

We went out to look for tiles today (in Cardiff). Apparently, they're
very hard to get now - all the quarries closed down. It seems a shame
that instead of a perfectly attractive local product, now the decent
tiles have to come all the way from mainland Europe.

That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened)
terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Daniele

Aren't Ruabon Tiles still going?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 4:34*pm, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on
the kitchen and dining room floors.

We went out to look for tiles today (in Cardiff). Apparently, they're
very hard to get now - all the quarries closed down. It seems a shame
that instead of a perfectly attractive local product, now the decent
tiles have to come all the way from mainland Europe.

That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened)
terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Daniele

Depends on the surface finish of the tiles. A matt finish is fairly
non slip. Had them in my last house and they lasted for years. [still
there when I left]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

D.M. Procida wrote:
In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on
the kitchen and dining room floors.

We went out to look for tiles today (in Cardiff). Apparently, they're
very hard to get now - all the quarries closed down. It seems a shame
that instead of a perfectly attractive local product, now the decent
tiles have to come all the way from mainland Europe.

That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened)
terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Daniele

Have quarry tiles got anything to do with quarries? At all?

Looks to me as if the name comes from:

quar·rel (kwôr€²É™l, kwär€²-)

noun

1. a bolt or arrow with a quadrangular head, shot from a crossbow
2. a small, diamond-shaped or square pane of glass, as in a latticed
window

Etymology: ME quarel OFr ML querellus VL *quadrellum, dim. of L
quadrus, a square

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on
the kitchen and dining room floors.

We went out to look for tiles today (in Cardiff). Apparently, they're
very hard to get now - all the quarries closed down. It seems a shame
that instead of a perfectly attractive local product, now the decent
tiles have to come all the way from mainland Europe.

That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened)
terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Daniele

Have quarry tiles got anything to do with quarries? At all?

I had no idea...

In fact they're made from clay, not stone. How confusing.

Still. The tileries closed down, at any rate.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

D.M. Procida wrote:

I had no idea...

In fact they're made from clay, not stone. How confusing.

Still. The tileries closed down, at any rate.

Daniele

Indeed - mainly I posted because it sounded as if someone in a shop was
trying to mislead you.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

I had no idea...

In fact they're made from clay, not stone. How confusing.

Still. The tileries closed down, at any rate.

Indeed - mainly I posted because it sounded as if someone in a shop was
trying to mislead you.

If someone assumes something as simple and straightforward as the idea
quarry tiles being tiles that come from quarries, an assumption in which
almost no active explicit thinking lies, then any clues or hints to the
contrary will simply be unnoticed.

The fellow in the shop probably did say that the "manufacturers" (or
"factories" or whatever) had gone out of business. But unless he'd said:
"quarry tiles: they don't actually come from quarries", then it would
have passed me by just the same.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain coughed up some electrons that declared:

Stuart Noble wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on
the kitchen and dining room floors.
That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened)
terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Given the Dennis Ruabon website shows then in industrial kitchens etc,
they should be okay.

Aren't Ruabon Tiles still going?

I mentioned them a while ago; someone said they weren't, but the website
seems current
http://www.dennisruabon.co.uk/index.htm
although their stockist Topps Tiles doesn't seem to stock them

Owain

I had it from Topps that Ruabon had paused manufacturering, but were going
to start up about now. But they were only going to do two colours, either
red and brown or red and black IIRC - not the whole range.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
D.M. Procida wrote:
In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on
the kitchen and dining room floors.

We went out to look for tiles today (in Cardiff). Apparently, they're
very hard to get now - all the quarries closed down. It seems a shame
that instead of a perfectly attractive local product, now the decent
tiles have to come all the way from mainland Europe.

That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened)
terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Daniele

Have quarry tiles got anything to do with quarries? At all?

Looks to me as if the name comes from:

quar·rel (kwôr'?l, kwär'-)

noun

1. a bolt or arrow with a quadrangular head, shot from a crossbow
2. a small, diamond-shaped or square pane of glass, as in a latticed
window

Etymology: ME quarel OFr ML querellus VL *quadrellum, dim. of L
quadrus, a square

Encarta (FWIW) agrees wholeheartedly with you so it must be right ;o)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not) --

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We ahve just had new quarry tiles put down in our new kitchen. I don't
know where they came from but the builder had no problem sourcing
them. They are a bit noisy but we are at risk from flooding, so we
wanted something that would survive should it happen.

Jonathan