Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Failed double-glazing units

Our double-glazing is about 16 years old, and in the last 6 months three
units have failed with condensation inside. All the failed units are
south-facing - presumably the more extreme heating cycle weakens the seal
eventually.

1) What's a reasonable lifetime for a DG unit?
2) Would K glass help to extend the life of a south-facing window?
3) Can I replace the units myself like for like, or does a FENSA bod have to
do do (or approve) the work?

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:
Our double-glazing is about 16 years old, and in the last 6 months
three units have failed with condensation inside. All the failed
units are south-facing - presumably the more extreme heating cycle
weakens the seal eventually.

1) What's a reasonable lifetime for a DG unit?
2) Would K glass help to extend the life of a south-facing window?

I think how well they're assembled in the factory has a greater influence
rather than the glass. You see a lot of big windows that have been sealed
when lying flat which results in concave windows. This not only looks naff
but I think causes them to fail more quickly than those that are sealed
upright. [1]

Tim

[1] I could be talking boll*cks but it seems palusible to me. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Reentrant" writes:
Our double-glazing is about 16 years old, and in the last 6 months three
units have failed with condensation inside. All the failed units are
south-facing - presumably the more extreme heating cycle weakens the seal
eventually.

1) What's a reasonable lifetime for a DG unit?

16 years isn't too bad for the first failures to show up.
Good quality units correctly fitted would last longer.

2) Would K glass help to extend the life of a south-facing window?

No. If anything, it would make it worse because the differential
expansion would be larger.

3) Can I replace the units myself like for like, or does a FENSA bod have to
do do (or approve) the work?

You can do it yourself. Some glaziers may remake the units using
your glass for you, providing the safety aspects of the glass
meet current regs, and the glass can be cleaned up.

When the units are replaced, check and clean the drainage channels
under the units, so that water that inevitably gets into the frames
can drain out without collecting. A common reason for failure is
the units end up sitting in a pool of water in the frame which
isn't draining away, which damages the seals over time, and pretty
instantly if it freezes. They should be lifted clear of the water
drainage channel.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes

When the units are replaced, check and clean the drainage channels
under the units, so that water that inevitably gets into the frames
can drain out without collecting. A common reason for failure is
the units end up sitting in a pool of water in the frame which
isn't draining away, which damages the seals over time, and pretty
instantly if it freezes. They should be lifted clear of the water
drainage channel.

On wooden windows I've taken to back filling the gaps around the DG
units with neutral cure silicone. I thought the risk of trapped moisture
was too great so made it so it can't get to the unit seals.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:
Our double-glazing is about 16 years old, and in the last 6 months three
units have failed with condensation inside. All the failed units are
south-facing - presumably the more extreme heating cycle weakens the seal
eventually.

3) Can I replace the units myself like for like, or does a FENSA bod have to
do do (or approve) the work?

Not too difficult, on my older panes I removed the rubber seal from the
inside which then allowed the outside seals to pop out easily.

Took the panes out to measure, I had leaded glass which made it more
difficult.

Geoff Lane

Double glazing units failing Mike Lane UK diy 12 April 29th 08 08:01 PM
Replacement Sealed Units in Wooden Double Glazing Tony UK diy 3 February 28th 06 05:29 PM
double glazing units pulsar UK diy 17 October 20th 05 12:36 PM
Where to buy double glazing sealed units only? [email protected] UK diy 12 January 4th 05 09:02 AM
Double Glazing Units.... sealing of? mark b UK diy 2 August 11th 04 08:43 PM