Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door handles for bathroom - need to lock it from inside

fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
benpost writes
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

Why not just a bolt? I fitted a nice brass one to our pine doors. Too
high for toddlers to lock but high enough to bolt the door to stop the
dogs charging in!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

Its called a bolt.

If you have rugrats who could lock themselves in accidentally either
position the bolt high up or fit a 'toilet door set' which allows locking
from inside & unlocking (using a screwdriver/coin) from outside.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

IME a separate indicator bolt is a much more reliable answer than any of the
turnlatches built into handles.

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A334803...ndicator-Bolts

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

Cheaper than a bolt is a small hook & eye. Even cheaper, but only
works with some frames, is a small piece of scrap wood with a screw
through the centre. Rotating it blocks the door from opening.

Even cheaper is a bit of dried pizza from the bin jammed under the
door as a wedge... how cheap do you want to go?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

If you're hung up on having an integral lock (which is very neat, for
sure), them you need new handles incorporating this featu some ranges
of handles have them, others don't.

However it's probably the most expensive way of doing it, too.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

If you're hung up on having an integral lock (which is very neat, for
sure), them you need new handles incorporating this featu some ranges
of handles have them, others don't.

However it's probably the most expensive way of doing it, too.

David

I would never consider a bathroom lock that cannot be released from the
outside. My daughter, when just a toddler locked herself in one day. I
had to get a ladder, smash the window, climb in, then spent the next
half hour calming her down!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

If you're hung up on having an integral lock (which is very neat, for
sure), them you need new handles incorporating this featu some ranges
of handles have them, others don't.

However it's probably the most expensive way of doing it, too.

David

I would never consider a bathroom lock that cannot be released from the
outside. My daughter, when just a toddler locked herself in one day. I had
to get a ladder, smash the window, climb in, then spent the next half hour
calming her down!

The OP's " handles with a knob on to stop the handle from moving" are sold
as bathroom/toilet door locks and have an external coin/screwdriver operated
release for this reason. They require a second hole drilled through the door
but that's usually all.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

There are special knob sets which include a lock for this very purpose -
usually a turn or push button in the centre of the knob. They are self
contained and use the same mortise latch mechanism as other such knob sets.
But couldn't be used with the mortise latch/lock commonly found in doors
as they need special screws going through the door to link the knobs. You
can get matching plain sets too - but the range is more restricted than
ordinary knob sets.

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

this is what i was thinking but not sure if you need anything else
with it, and where is the outside safety handle that should go with
it?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...bathroom+door#
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
this is what i was thinking but not sure if you need anything else
with it, and where is the outside safety handle that should go with
it?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...bathroom+door#

It will be in there - the ability to access from outside is a building reg.,
and the description says "set" - only one handle is shown.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message
this is what i was thinking but not sure if you need anything else
with it, and where is the outside safety handle that should go with
it?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...bathroom+door#

It will be in there - the ability to access from outside is a building reg.,
and the description says "set" - only one handle is shown.

Yes, I have a different-but-similar one from Screwfix: the second handle
has a corresponding hole, and the two holes are linked by a rod, with a
thumb latch (visible in the OP's link) at one end, and a slotted disc
(to accept the edge of a coin to enable opening from the outside). This
assembly can be inserted from either side to enable both left- and
right-handed opening doors to be used.

Bob - are you sure about the building regs thing? It seems an odd
specification given that I'm sure the vast majority of bathrooms are
locked by a slide bolt on the inside!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not certain but they are not retrospective anyway - I would be suprised
if a BCO passed in a new build an internal bathroom/toilet lock that wasn't
operable from the outside. My point wasn't that he would be in breach of any
regulations (that's up to him) but that, if that is the standard/regulation,
all sets for sale will have an external access facility and he needn't worry
whether they have or not.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not) David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

Have a look at the B&Q item 3409657 (type this into the Search box on
www.diy.com), I bought this one and am very pleased with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 2:09:29 AM UTC+2, benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

The cheapest way of doing this is to install this type of privacy door locks https://vizilok.com/products/satin-b...and-lever-c3fb - because buying these locks you receive the highest quality of materials and top-grade privacy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
2009 now, I've heard of skeletons in cupboards but not in toilets.

Look like an advert.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 23:29, Oliver Green wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 2:09:29 AM UTC+2, benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

The cheapest way of doing this is to install this type of privacy door locks https://vizilok.com/products/satin-b...and-lever-c3fb - because buying these locks you receive the highest quality of materials and top-grade privacy.

If that is your cheapest way, I would hate to see the most expensive.

Do you need the lock to be openable from the outside? If not, a simple
bolt is the usual way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 13/06/2020 23:29, Oliver Green wrote:

The cheapest way of doing this is to install this type of privacy door
locks snipped spam link - because buying these locks you receive the
highest quality of materials and top-grade privacy.

If that is your cheapest way, I would hate to see the most expensive.

Come on, its really not hard to spot a spamming ****.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 15:29:50 -0700 (PDT), Oliver Green
wrote:

On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 2:09:29 AM UTC+2, benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

The cheapest way of doing this is to install this type of privacy door locks https://vizilok.com/products/satin-b...and-lever-c3fb - because buying these locks you receive the highest quality of materials and top-grade privacy.

I wonder where these posts are coming from. Even HoH gives a link to
themselves.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 2:09:29 AM UTC+2, benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

The cheapest way of doing this is to install this type of privacy door locks https://vizilok.com/products/satin-b...and-lever-c3fb - because buying these locks you receive the highest quality of materials and top-grade privacy.

I wonder where these posts are coming from. Even HoH gives a link to
themselves.

The glowing desctription says to me it's an advert of some sort.

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 2:09:29 AM UTC+2, benpost wrote:
fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need
to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way
of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on
to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door
frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

The cheapest way of doing this is to install this type of privacy door locks

I wonder where these posts are coming from. Even HoH gives a link to
themselves.

From Ukraine via Google Groups.

217.77.215.254 in the header, do a lookup on that.

But you can make it look like that with a VPN, so the
physical location is rather meaningless.

Paul

Mortice lock on a new bathroom door GI Joe UK diy 8 November 1st 07 01:56 PM
Door handles Nel UK diy 3 May 8th 07 06:34 PM
Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 09:31 PM
door knobs with key lock and push button lock Nospam Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 05:05 PM
GE electric slide-in self cleaning auto lock won't lock door sunni Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 12:47 PM