Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to get toughened glass cut to shape?

I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where
can I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners)
and then toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where
can I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners)
and then toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Dave

Dave, Try here http://www.county-glass.co.uk/

They should be able to give you the technical data too.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can
I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and then
toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

You can tell they are for HiFi mugs

"Energy generated by the equipment on the 10mm thick stressed glass shelf is
filtered through the carbon fibre to iron out damaging energy - residual
energy is then fed into the 6mm thick solid steel chassis and then into the
mass of the wall. "

I have seen cantilevered glass shelves in the sheds BTW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can I
get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and then
toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Dave

http://www.uniglaze2.co.uk/

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where
can I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners)
and then toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Dave

For tpoughened glass it has to be cut to size and then toughened - any
glass merchant can do this. The process of toughening fire polishes the
edges - not quite as good as having them rounded (which is expensive)
but it removes the sharpness.

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can I
get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and then
toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

If making your own supports check out Flebay for some LED strips to put
behind the back edge of the glass.
Give a lovely effect through the glass edges

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit
like these:
http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm (don't
look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can I
get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and
then toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

You can tell they are for HiFi mugs

"Energy generated by the equipment on the 10mm thick stressed glass
shelf is filtered through the carbon fibre to iron out damaging energy -
residual energy is then fed into the 6mm thick solid steel chassis and
then into the mass of the wall. "

I have seen cantilevered glass shelves in the sheds BTW.

Perhaps they also sell crystals or shields for mobile phones to "stop
the radiation" ;-)

Unfortunately I need about 400 deep and the shelves in the sheds are 250
max.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can I
get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and then
toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

If making your own supports check out Flebay for some LED strips to put
behind the back edge of the glass.
Give a lovely effect through the glass edges

Thanks! I'd been wondering how to do that and hadn't thought of looking
on Feebay. I was going to make something with alternating LED colours so
I could change the colour and intensity, but may just get an off the peg
strip.

A qulote from one of the adverts: "The light strip can be sticked
anywhere you like" ... sooooo tempting!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NoSpam
writes
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit
like these:
http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm (don't
look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can I
get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and
then toughened?

Dave

Where are you? Got a place less than half a mile from me as the crow
flies but obviously no use if you are in Outer Mongolia.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NoSpam wrote:
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where
can I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners)
and then toughened?

Any glass supplier should be able to arrange what you want. Just phone up
a few in yellow pages, etc.

Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Toughened glass is extremely strong so in practice it will be more down to
what looks best.

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R" wrote in message

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can
I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and then
toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

If making your own supports check out Flebay for some LED strips to put
behind the back edge of the glass.
Give a lovely effect through the glass edges

If he is going to the effort of fitting leds maybe he should look at
http://nuigroup.com/ and diy a surface?

There is a video here of how to build one in five minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IE&h...&v=zgLPww04QaQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit
like these:
http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm (don't
look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can I
get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and
then toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Dave

Dave, Try here http://www.county-glass.co.uk/

They should be able to give you the technical data too.

Bob

They're very expensive Bob. £51 each for 500x400x8 with two 45 degree
corners - supposedly that's the trade price!

I think to get a sensible price I'll need to find someone who has them
as a standard item rather than getting specials made. Ikea have got
rectangular 10mm shelves but they're a little too small (500x350) for
£4.40 for two!!!

I've settled on a min size of 500x420x 8 or 10 if anyone knows a
stockist, and I'd be prepared to compromise on the corners at that price!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
NoSpam wrote:
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where
can I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners)
and then toughened?

Any glass supplier should be able to arrange what you want. Just phone up
a few in yellow pages, etc.

Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Toughened glass is extremely strong so in practice it will be more down to
what looks best.

The local (Winchester) people just quoted £51 each so I probably need to
find a standard shelf - now needs to be 500x420 min.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

NoSpam wrote:

The local (Winchester) people just quoted £51 each so I probably need to
find a standard shelf - now needs to be 500x420 min.

Whilst long-established and with a generally good reputation, they might
not be the cheapest in the area.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:28:48 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit like
these: http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where can
I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners) and then
toughened?
Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

You can tell they are for HiFi mugs

"Energy generated by the equipment on the 10mm thick stressed glass shelf is
filtered through the carbon fibre to iron out damaging energy - residual
energy is then fed into the 6mm thick solid steel chassis and then into the
mass of the wall. "

I hope it's oxygen-free glass.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NoSpam wrote:
The local (Winchester) people just quoted £51 each so I probably need to
find a standard shelf - now needs to be 500x420 min.

If you can find something 'stock' it should be a lot cheaper. But remember
you can't really alter toughened in any way.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I want to make some cantilevered glass shelves for the hifi - a bit
like these:
http://www.standsunique.com/productr...wall/index.htm
(don't look at the price!) The metalwork is straightforward but where
can I get some glass cut to size (about 400x400 with rounded corners)
and then toughened? Also, it's easy to work out the bending moment but
where can I get the
data to calculate whether I need 8 or 10mm?

Dave

http://www.btinternet.com/~bsglass/

£32 each
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NoSpam
writes
Where are you? Got a place less than half a mile from me as the crow
flies but obviously no use if you are in Outer Mongolia.

Hampshire

Ahh, might as well be Outer Mongolia then.. I'm in South Manchester.
--
Clint Sharp