Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paving Block Splitters

Can you cut the kerbing blocks with a block splitter or just the paving
blocks? If they do, do they always cut cleanly or is it best to have a few
spare to cover badly cut blocks?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Can you cut the kerbing blocks with a block splitter or just the paving
blocks? If they do, do they always cut cleanly or is it best to have a few
spare to cover badly cut blocks?

Angle Grinder..............

or more specifically a petrol disc cutter with a diamond blade will be
better

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Can you cut the kerbing blocks with a block splitter or just the paving
blocks? If they do, do they always cut cleanly or is it best to have a
few spare to cover badly cut blocks?

Angle Grinder..............

or more specifically a petrol disc cutter with a diamond blade will be
better

ok, I have a 9" electric angle grinder but I find the larger grinders a bit
of a beast and difficult to maintain square and straight cut.

I was thinking of using a tile cutter to give me a start then follow off
with the angle grinder.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Can you cut the kerbing blocks with a block splitter or just the paving
blocks? If they do, do they always cut cleanly or is it best to have a
few spare to cover badly cut blocks?

Angle Grinder..............

or more specifically a petrol disc cutter with a diamond blade will be
better

ok, I have a 9" electric angle grinder but I find the larger grinders a
bit of a beast and difficult to maintain square and straight cut.

I was thinking of using a tile cutter to give me a start then follow off
with the angle grinder.

If it's important that you get a proper straight cut on all sides hire a
Brick Saw.

Sort of sawbench for bricks where the diamond wheel is mounted on a
cantilever or sprung frame and can be brought down on the brick to give it a
true cut.
Most hire shops will have them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Zen83237 wrote:
Can you cut the kerbing blocks with a block splitter or just the paving
blocks? If they do, do they always cut cleanly or is it best to have a few
spare to cover badly cut blocks?

Kevin

Don't assume the kerbs are physically the same as the blocks. With the
ones I used, they are much, much tougher. Diamond blade in angle grinder
worked - but took very much longer than for the ordinary blocks.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
Can you cut the kerbing blocks with a block splitter or just the paving
blocks? If they do, do they always cut cleanly or is it best to have a few
spare to cover badly cut blocks?

My experience with hired splitters, and a friend's experience with a
newly-bought one, were that they were useless on concrete block paviors,
let alone heftier kerb blocks.

They may be OK for very straightforward "chop a block in half" cuts, but
many jobs need something a bit more demanding, like slivers of block or
angled cuts.

I bought a new 14 inch chop saw and diamond blade for blocks, and a
secondhand petrol Stihl saw for kerbing block, and was very pleased with
the results, if not the dust.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****

Weedkiller on block paving F[_2_] UK diy 3 May 13th 08 12:28 AM
Block Paving [email protected] UK diy 3 June 20th 07 07:57 PM
Block paving I'm not crofter either UK diy 5 August 19th 05 03:08 PM
Going rate for block paving ? Jim UK diy 8 July 22nd 04 04:02 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM