Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood Hand Rail 2 inch dia 4.8m lg - Anywhere off the shelf ???

Wood Hand Rail 2 inch dia 4.8m lg

I am just after pine not redwood or hardwood

I just cannot seem to get it anywhere at any local timber merchants, I
can get banister rail stuff. But its too expensive and to big in size.

Any ideas where I can get off the shelf ??? or do I have to get
machined up from square ??

Can I get a router cutter with a 20mm radi on a 1/4inch shank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chili-girl" wrote in message
news
Wood Hand Rail 2 inch dia 4.8m lg

I am just after pine not redwood or hardwood

I just cannot seem to get it anywhere at any local timber merchants, I
can get banister rail stuff. But its too expensive and to big in size.

Any ideas where I can get off the shelf ??? or do I have to get
machined up from square ??

I guess it depends what you mean by "too expensive". Machining costs would
make the machining option quite dear. These people do it at £5 / m but there
would be delivery.

http://www.ukstairparts.co.uk/handrail.htm

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 09:12, chili-girl wrote:
Wood Hand Rail 2 inch dia 4.8m lg

I am just after pine not redwood or hardwood

Well if you can find pine, then go with pine. However much "pine" in
the UK in generic crappy whitewood and actually hemlock or low-end
spruce, which is just a bit too low-grade. I'd probably use generic
crappy redwood instead, which might be Douglas Fir and usable quality.

Any ideas where I can get off the shelf ??? or do I have to get
machined up from square ??

Generally it's cheapest machined up to order.

Somewhere the size of B&Q can afford to keep it on the shelf ready-
machined elsewhere. After all, _someone_ has to machine it. Smaller
places will do it to order, just to save on keeping unsold stock, and
they're cheaper than the big orange sheds anyway.

Can I get a router cutter with a 20mm radi on a 1/4inch shank.

I sincerely hope not.

I've got a fairly big and solid router table, but there's no way I'd
work something this size. For this scale you need a spindle moulder,
or at least a shaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 09:12, chili-girl wrote:
Wood Hand Rail 2 inch dia 4.8m lg

I am just after pine not redwood or hardwood

I just cannot seem to get it anywhere at any local timber merchants, I
can get banister rail stuff. But its too expensive and to big in size.

Any ideas where I can get off the shelf ??? or do I have to get
machined up from square ??

Can I get a router cutter with a 20mm radi on a 1/4inch shank.

I got approx 2 1/4" - (about 55mm) diameter pine handrail at B&Q.
Round section except for flat base for support fittings. They did have
long stuff which I'm reasonably sure was 4.8. However, I needed about
4 metre and, for ease of transport, decided to get two 2.4 m. and cut
one down and just butt them together - worked fine. 2.4m length was
£18:62.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:12:08 +0000, a certain chimpanzee, chili-girl
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Wood Hand Rail 2 inch dia 4.8m lg

I am just after pine not redwood or hardwood

I just cannot seem to get it anywhere at any local timber merchants, I
can get banister rail stuff. But its too expensive and to big in size.

Any ideas where I can get off the shelf ???

Are you asking for the right thing? I would call what you're
describing a "mop-stick" hand rail.

I got some last week from a timber merchant. Went to Yell.com, picked
one nearest my sister (where I was fitting it), and got them to
deliver. No problem. They also had similar at my nearest Wickes.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?

Mounting Height for staircase hand rail Tim[_3_] UK diy 10 March 5th 08 11:56 AM
Hand rail TOM MOORE Woodworking 7 October 16th 06 12:44 AM
hand rail coming out of wall shederr Home Repair 6 May 10th 06 08:40 PM
Need alumin indoor hand rail [email protected] UK diy 4 January 2nd 06 06:47 PM
Rams Horn on hand rail pipe? Terry Collins Metalworking 6 January 12th 05 06:38 PM