Terry Collins

Default Rams Horn on hand rail pipe?

What is the easiest wat to put a "rams horn"[1] onto the end of a piece
of galvanised pipe that is going to become a hand rail?

2" gal pip, with say 1' inner radius 180 degree curve on end.

TIA.
Gunner

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:12:52 +1100, Terry Collins
wrote:

What is the easiest wat to put a "rams horn"[1] onto the end of a piece
of galvanised pipe that is going to become a hand rail?

2" gal pip, with say 1' inner radius 180 degree curve on end.

TIA.

JB Weld.

You did say easiest.....G

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better,
on average, than the citizens of Baltimore.
True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee,
but why this is more stylish than
sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know."
-- P.J O'Rourke (1989)
Gary Brady

Terry Collins wrote:
What is the easiest wat to put a "rams horn"[1] onto the end of a piece
of galvanised pipe that is going to become a hand rail?

2" gal pip, with say 1' inner radius 180 degree curve on end.

TIA.

You can buy that piece as a pre-made fitting from suppliers of
ornamental castings. But I believe it's called a "lamb's tongue".

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Randy Zimmerman

I have done numerous hanrail returns on pipe rail, some of them between
flights of stairs and simple ones at the foot of stairs.
The down and dirty way is to get some material bent up by a shop that
specializes in bending then splice your return on to the rail.
Unless you have some pretty fancy bending equipment you will not get a
quality bend that will withstand the inspection of peoples' hands every day.
I have seen quality bends done with sand filled pipe, a large torch and
a very heavy table with a com-a-long. You are using galvanized so that is
not an option.
When you splice the return on it is much easier to do if you use a short
insert inside the connection.
Randy

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
What is the easiest wat to put a "rams horn"[1] onto the end of a piece
of galvanised pipe that is going to become a hand rail?

2" gal pip, with say 1' inner radius 180 degree curve on end.

TIA.

John L. Weatherly

Terry Collins wrote:

What is the easiest wat to put a "rams horn"[1] onto the end of a piece
of galvanised pipe that is going to become a hand rail?

2" gal pip, with say 1' inner radius 180 degree curve on end.

TIA.

Check out :
www.kingmetals.com

Maybe they have a weld-in piece for your application.

Hope this helps
--
John L. Weatherly
MacGyver Industrial Technologies

Terry Collins

Randy Zimmerman wrote:

Unless you have some pretty fancy bending equipment you will not get a
quality bend that will withstand the inspection of peoples' hands every day.

Thanks Randy and others.
I vaguely remembered seeing something like this somewhere once. We have
at least one local steel supplier whose major business is fencing of
various types based on gal pipe.

I have seen quality bends done with sand filled pipe, a large torch and
a very heavy table with a com-a-long. You are using galvanized so that is
not an option.

Been there, done that on much smaller gal and I know that it isn't easy
at all. You really have to know "color/color".

When you splice the return on it is much easier to do if you use a short
insert inside the connection.

Good tip, thanks.

Now to go "shopping"

A lambs tongue is a way of ending a flat bar railing. Never seen one in
pipe.
Never heard of a rams horn- but I guess its some sort of bent pipe that
ends the railing.

If you want to buy parts to fit pipe, the main supplier for these parts
is RB Wagner- they sell to all the smaller distributors, like King,
Jansen, and Classic Iron. They make pretty much everything for pipe, in
all kinds of metals and sizes, and will do custom anything you can
think of.
http://www.rbwagner.com/

If you want ornamental iron components, here are a couple of more
companies that stock and sell lots of it.

http://www.classicirononline.com/
http://www.jansensupply.com/

Its really not that hard to bend a lot of this stuff yourself, with a
hossfeld bender- which, tooled up, runs from $700 to maybe $2000, but
can be used to bend all kinds of stuff besides just pipe.