Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulation above MR16 Downlights

I posted this question from my work where we use Demon Internet but it
doesn't seem to have reached the Usenet community so I will try again.
Apologies if it get repeated.

I was wondering what the collective wisdom is on what to do about loft
insulation above MR16 LV downlights. My concerns are heat build up and
since its a bathroom, moist air getting through the lights an possibly
causing condensation. I see Screwfix do a couple of products, a firehood
and a steel box thing but neither seem to suit.

I am thinking about constructing a Plasterboard void above the lights.
The roof trusses are on 2 foot centres and 4" high. I thought a PB void
the
width and height of the trusses and about a foot wide would be OK but
I don't know if I should leave some ventilation holes. The existing
insulation is 4" thick and I have bought some more to run across the
trusses and over the downlights. What do others do?

Archie

Instlation above MR16 downlights Archie UK diy 1 January 30th 09 09:10 PM
LV Downlights 50mm dia. [email protected] UK diy 7 March 14th 08 08:29 PM
LED MR16 Bulb. Alec UK diy 3 July 29th 06 12:41 AM
Led Kitchen downlights Tom UK diy 6 June 1st 06 10:19 PM
MR16 Halogen bulb Kathy Home Repair 4 March 6th 06 01:49 PM