Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stud wall repair

Hello,

A cable for a light switch got lost inside a stud wall. It's a long
story but I think that what we thought was
plasterboard-void-plasterboard has turned out to be
plasterboard-void-plasterboard-plasterboard-void-plasterboard and the
cable was behind a hidden inner wall!

I used a Zircon stud detector (see other post) and that gave me a lot
of false positives so I've made a few holes looking! I'm just
wondering what to do for the best. On the one hand the wall is still
quite sturdy: there is still more plasterboard than holes! If I just
fill the holes, this might be quickest but is it a bodge?

Would I be better to cut the holey section back to the nearest stud,
put in a couple of noggins and re-plasterboard the resulting
rectangle? Or am I just making unnecessary work for myself?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

Wahtever looks fastest.

Myself, I bodge in anything that will hold up and use bonding plaster to
gap fill, and then finish plaster to finish, and then an orbital sander
to make my execrable plastering smooth.

If you can plaster, rip the board down and start again. If like me you
can't to save your life, then just fill away.

For large holes you can either wedge bits of board in, or simply stuff
in newspaper and then using bonding plaster on top. Its stronger than
plasterboard an you can use it in very thick layers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Would I be better to cut the holey section back to the nearest stud,
put in a couple of noggins and re-plasterboard the resulting
rectangle? Or am I just making unnecessary work for myself?

Probably. But it's really hard to say without looking at the situation -
it's a judgement call based on how big your holes are, how close
together they are etc.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

The usual method is to put something behind the hole, eg a bit of PB,
wood, or anything really, then fill the lot up with plaster or filler
(If your backing material is soft, eg newspaper, you put a layer of
plaster on and let it harden first). If holes are large or numerous,
you might be better starting again with a new board, your call. If
you've got the time you can always try one, and if its not good enough
do the other.

NT

Stud wall Andrew Gabriel UK diy 5 March 3rd 08 12:49 AM
DPC for stud wall [email protected] UK diy 6 October 1st 05 11:28 AM
Stud Wall Nearly There! [email protected] UK diy 7 June 7th 05 01:44 PM
Stud wall nthng2snet UK diy 4 February 27th 05 12:39 AM
IKEA kitchen wall cabinet hanging on plaster wall without stud coder UK diy 12 November 4th 04 07:53 AM