Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flame effect pseudo coals

We have one of those naff gas fires that has the yucky moulded pretend
coals that are illuminated by a couple of red bulbs driving spinners - the
"flicker" effect - by convection. Yes, the fire will ultimately be
consigned to oblivion, but not just yet.
The other day I realised that the two tinted bulbs, at 40w each, are using
more juice than is used illuminating the whole of the room (done entirely
with CFLs - 6 in total, although unimportant to the question following).
By way of experiment, I fitted a couple of CFL lamps in place of the tinted
tungstens to see if they generate enough heat to spin the flickerators and,
although they are a little slow to start, it does work, which is good
enough for me.
Not good enough for SWMBO, of course, because the rosy red glow is now
beaming, cheery yellow.
OK, to the point, unless there's a compelling reason not to, I need to red
lacquer the CFL lamps so that the illusion of warmth is imparted to the
room, and so that, in spite of the CH turning the lounge into a sleep zone
for me, the Mrs doesn't feel cold.
So, and sorry for the long tale, what I'm looking for is a suitable lacquer
to use on the CFL lamps. Any suggestions re. type & source?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

Try a transparent modelling lacquer (from a modelling shop). I've used that
on smaller bulbs before.

The other option might be some stage-light colour film which is good to high
temperatures (much higher than a CFL) - wrap around the bulb and tape in
position.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

-------------------8
So, and sorry for the long tale, what I'm looking for is a suitable
lacquer to use on the CFL lamps. Any suggestions re. type & source?

Try a transparent modelling lacquer (from a modelling shop). I've used that
on smaller bulbs before.

The other option might be some stage-light colour film which is good to high
temperatures (much higher than a CFL) - wrap around the bulb and tape in
position.

Thanks Tim, the modelling shop I'll follow up.
I had already decided that enclosing the bulb in a gel filter would
interfere with the convection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:34:41 +0000
Appelation Controlee wrote:

So, and sorry for the long tale, what I'm looking for is a suitable lacquer
to use on the CFL lamps. Any suggestions re. type & source?

Nail varnish? Choose one she likes most ;-)

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Appelation Controlee" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:21:10 +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:34:41 +0000
Appelation Controlee wrote:

So, and sorry for the long tale, what I'm looking for is a suitable
lacquer
to use on the CFL lamps. Any suggestions re. type & source?

Nail varnish? Choose one she likes most ;-)

Hey, good idea! :-)

I was going to say nail varnish.
I remember 50 years ago my Mum made us a night light by painting a bulb with
nail varnish.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:21:10 +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:34:41 +0000
Appelation Controlee wrote:

So, and sorry for the long tale, what I'm looking for is a suitable lacquer
to use on the CFL lamps. Any suggestions re. type & source?

Nail varnish? Choose one she likes most ;-)

Hey, good idea! :-)

6 packs of little pies usually come in red trays - or did last time I
bought one - and these make effective light filters. You may find red
plastic sheets in your local art shop, though I daren't ask at what
price. They'll be the cheap low temp version of lighting gel.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee presented the following explanation :
[...]

Lacking the heat of convection, I suppose the modern way would be to
drive them via a synchronous small clock motor. As this is a
modification and has to work with a flow of air - how about a small
mains powered computer fan to supply the essential flow of air?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:27:36 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

A damned good suggestion - I'll look into that. Thanks. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

Lacking the heat of convection, I suppose the modern way would be to drive
them via a synchronous small clock motor. As this is a modification and
has to work with a flow of air - how about a small mains powered computer
fan to supply the essential flow of air?

I think those small fans work on 5V or 12V at the most.
Perhaps a sterling engine design might work.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you have the bulbs on when the gas isn't? If not, I can't see why
you want to remove 80W of heat when you're spending so much on the
1000W (say) heat from the gas.

On 26 Jan, 05:34, Appelation Controlee wrote:
We have one of those naff gas fires that has the yucky moulded pretend
coals that are illuminated by a couple of red bulbs driving spinners - the
"flicker" effect - by convection. Yes, the fire will ultimately be
consigned to oblivion, but not just yet.
The other day I realised that the two tinted bulbs, at 40w each, are using
more juice than is used illuminating the whole of the room (done entirely
with CFLs - 6 in total, although unimportant to the question following).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 07:23:11 -0800 (PST), Dave W wrote:

Do you have the bulbs on when the gas isn't? If not, I can't see why
you want to remove 80W of heat when you're spending so much on the
1000W (say) heat from the gas.

Good question - in practice, and other than chilly summer evenings, the gas
is never lit, as the room is heated by the CH rads. It's all about the
perception of a "warm" room. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:24:42 -0000, Baz wrote:

"Appelation Controlee" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:21:10 +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:34:41 +0000
Appelation Controlee wrote:

So, and sorry for the long tale, what I'm looking for is a suitable
lacquer
to use on the CFL lamps. Any suggestions re. type & source?

Nail varnish? Choose one she likes most ;-)

Hey, good idea! :-)

I was going to say nail varnish.
I remember 50 years ago my Mum made us a night light by painting a bulb with
nail varnish.

Right, implemented this yesterday, and it works well enough.
Convection is lower than the incandescents, so a bit slow to initially move
the spinners [1], but perfectly tolerable, and SWMBO has announced that it
qualifies as a satisfactory solution.
Thanks for all the suggestions - the Owl meter has dropped a couple of
points, so honour is satisfied. :-)

[1] Will try bending these to different pitches, but that can be done at
leisure.

Gas Fire - open coals ( John UK diy 6 July 3rd 08 04:24 PM
Flame effect electric fire Pete Cross UK diy 16 March 20th 08 05:51 PM
arrangement of coals in living flame gas fires [email protected] UK diy 5 December 29th 06 03:18 PM
Black liquid for artificial coals Phil Anthropist UK diy 0 August 26th 06 06:30 AM
Flame effect electric fire - recommendations? Malcolm Reeves UK diy 3 January 7th 05 03:30 PM