Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Fire - open coals (

I have a Magiglo Open coals gas fire and the fire back and coals are looking
a bit gray and tired (like me). What is available to rejuvenate the fire's
appearance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I have a Magiglo Open coals gas fire and the fire back and coals are

looking
a bit gray and tired (like me). What is available to rejuvenate the fire's
appearance?

Nothing, as this due to the flames burning process.

New coal and fireback.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 6:39 pm, "John" wrote:
I have a Magiglo Open coals gas fire and the fire back and coals are looking
a bit gray and tired (like me). What is available to rejuvenate the fire's
appearance?

'Back to Black' spray?

http://www.uclretail.com/spray.asp

(Note: Despite the name I am assuming this is a different product to
that sold in Halfords for bumpers etc!)

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 6:39*pm, "John" wrote:
I have a Magiglo Open coals gas fire and the fire back and coals are looking
a bit gray and tired (like me). What is available to rejuvenate the fire's
appearance?

Coal refurbishment paint, eg Black Magic brand.
Maybe try http://www.sparesmerchant.com/fires.asp

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote:

I have a Magiglo Open coals gas fire and the fire back and coals are looking
a bit gray and tired (like me). What is available to rejuvenate the fire's
appearance?

For the fire back, black lead is what you need. It has been around
for many years and is still a very effective rejuvenator. As a child
I had the job of black leading my grandmother's hearth and oven.

You can buy it he
http://tinyurl.com/59x2g2

And this is what the finish looks like:
http://www.nevillegriffiths.co.uk/black_lead_finish.htm

The coals probably need replacing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"John" wrote:

I have a Magiglo Open coals gas fire and the fire back and coals are
looking
a bit gray and tired (like me). What is available to rejuvenate the fire's
appearance?

For the fire back, black lead is what you need. It has been around
for many years and is still a very effective rejuvenator. As a child
I had the job of black leading my grandmother's hearth and oven.

You can buy it he
http://tinyurl.com/59x2g2

And this is what the finish looks like:
http://www.nevillegriffiths.co.uk/black_lead_finish.htm

The coals probably need replacing.

The fire back is some sort of asbestos-like material - moulded a bit
fibrous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote:

The fire back is some sort of asbestos-like material - moulded a bit
fibrous.

Please ignore my suggestions. ;-)