Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hilti TE22 Hammer Drill

I have just been given one of these drills, and by coincidence need to drill a
150mm core for a bathroom extractor fan.

Now, the drill is 110V, so I would need a transformer. I also have no manual
(and cannot find one for download), so I don't even know what kind of drill bits
it takes. Does anyone here know whether it is SDS or SDS Plus? The hole in the
end of the chuck is exactly 10mm, and that is all I know.

I have the option of spending £25 for a core cutter for the weekend, or spending
a little more to get a decent drill I can keep for future jobs. Is it worth
purchasing a transformer for this drill, or is it so old now that I drill bits
would be hard to obtain.

If anyone has a manual they could scan, that would be most appreciated.

-- Jason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC Hilti use their own proprietery bit design, so SDS and plus may not
fit.
Take it to a hire shop and try some bits.

http://www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/modules...tentOID=162850

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jason wrote:
I have just been given one of these drills, and by coincidence need to
drill a 150mm core for a bathroom extractor fan.

Now, the drill is 110V, so I would need a transformer. I also have no
manual (and cannot find one for download), so I don't even know what
kind of drill bits it takes. Does anyone here know whether it is SDS or
SDS Plus? The hole in the end of the chuck is exactly 10mm, and that is
all I know.

I have the option of spending £25 for a core cutter for the weekend, or
spending a little more to get a decent drill I can keep for future jobs.
Is it worth purchasing a transformer for this drill, or is it so old now
that I drill bits would be hard to obtain.

TLC charge 40 quid for a proper site transformer - and for that you could
get a chunky SDS mains drill which takes standard bits. If it's only for
occasional heavy use.

IMHO the problem with most of these cheap SDS drills is not the
performance but the excessive weight - if you're using one for wall
chasing etc you really need a 2 Kg type, and these smaller ones tend to be
much more expensive.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Good idea. I'll do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

TLC charge 40 quid for a proper site transformer - and for that you could
get a chunky SDS mains drill which takes standard bits. If it's only for
occasional heavy use.

IMHO the problem with most of these cheap SDS drills is not the
performance but the excessive weight - if you're using one for wall
chasing etc you really need a 2 Kg type, and these smaller ones tend to be
much more expensive.

According to the bathroom scales, this one weighs in at around 5kg, so I guess
that makes it a cheaper one (though it is solidly built).

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jason wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

TLC charge 40 quid for a proper site transformer - and for that you
could get a chunky SDS mains drill which takes standard bits. If it's
only for occasional heavy use.

IMHO the problem with most of these cheap SDS drills is not the
performance but the excessive weight - if you're using one for wall
chasing etc you really need a 2 Kg type, and these smaller ones tend
to be much more expensive.

According to the bathroom scales, this one weighs in at around 5kg, so I
guess that makes it a cheaper one (though it is solidly built).

It could just be a very powerful one. They can be useful for continuous
heavy work - or for say breaking up concrete path where you're not
actually lifting up the thing much. But for most DIY tasks are
knackeringly heavy to use. Like chasing into a wall which is something an
SDS is very useful for.

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jason
saying something like:

Now, the drill is 110V, so I would need a transformer. I also have no manual
(and cannot find one for download), so I don't even know what kind of drill bits
it takes. Does anyone here know whether it is SDS or SDS Plus?

There's two versions of the TE22...
http://www.bamanufacturing.com/cross_hilti.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Jason
saying something like:

Now, the drill is 110V, so I would need a transformer. I also have no manual
(and cannot find one for download), so I don't even know what kind of drill bits
it takes. Does anyone here know whether it is SDS or SDS Plus?

There's two versions of the TE22...
http://www.bamanufacturing.com/cross_hilti.html

Thanks. From the part number alone, it looks like I have the one with the "765"
shank rather than SDS Plus.

I love the way all those links on that page all point to F:\Documents and
Settings\...

-- JJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The TE22 is a baby drill (by Hilti standards), but still might be too chunky
to hold at height.

I use concrete drills all the time, and a standard sds bit will fit yours.

You will need a transformer, and maybe a small extension unless you are
going to use it all in proximity of a notmal 240v socket.

If I were you, and never otherwise used serious concrete drills, I'd just
hire one from the hire shop. A lot less complicated and guaranteed to be
working fully!

Good drilling!

Geoff

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391141053.aspx