Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless Room Thermostat

We have a roomstat in the hall but would much prefer a stat in the
lounge diner for a steady temperature in there. No easy way of running a
cable.

All we really wanted is a wireless thermostat that we can manually set
but I note a lot can be pre-set for different temperatures at different
times on different days.

Any recommendations?

Is there a wireless unit that would replace both the roomstat and the
programmer which looks pretty old and will not work off a backup battery.

At present we have a
Glow Worm 24hxi condensing boiler
Drayton Tempus 7 time controller for water and heating
Honeywell roomstat of some basic sort in the hall
Thermostat on the hot water cylinder
Usual motorised valve to distribute to radiators/cylinder as required

TIA for any ideas
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
We have a roomstat in the hall but would much prefer a stat in the lounge
diner for a steady temperature in there. No easy way of running a cable.

All we really wanted is a wireless thermostat that we can manually set but
I note a lot can be pre-set for different temperatures at different times
on different days.

Any recommendations?

Is there a wireless unit that would replace both the roomstat and the
programmer which looks pretty old and will not work off a backup battery.

At present we have a
Glow Worm 24hxi condensing boiler
Drayton Tempus 7 time controller for water and heating
Honeywell roomstat of some basic sort in the hall
Thermostat on the hot water cylinder
Usual motorised valve to distribute to radiators/cylinder as required

TIA for any ideas

You need to decide if you really need to time your hot water - I don't. It
is left on 24 x 7

If you agree then programming different temps is better than switching off.
Setting the temp during times the house isn't occupied to about 15 degrees
is as good as off - you don't really want it any colder in my opinion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Invisible Man
writes
We have a roomstat in the hall but would much prefer a stat in the
lounge diner for a steady temperature in there. No easy way of running a
cable.

All we really wanted is a wireless thermostat that we can manually set
but I note a lot can be pre-set for different temperatures at different
times on different days.

Any recommendations?

Is there a wireless unit that would replace both the roomstat and the
programmer which looks pretty old and will not work off a backup battery.

At present we have a
Glow Worm 24hxi condensing boiler
Drayton Tempus 7 time controller for water and heating
Honeywell roomstat of some basic sort in the hall
Thermostat on the hot water cylinder
Usual motorised valve to distribute to radiators/cylinder as required

TIA for any ideas

IMHO the Honeywell CMT927 is the business, really a programmable room
stat but I have the H/W on 24/7 (with manual override) so that does not
upset me.

The stat sits beside us and can be manually adjusted in seconds if needs
be. It has simple buttons, a large LCD display and is programmable by
technophobes. It appears to control to +/-0.5 degree which many claim
but few deliver, IME the cheapies really aren't as good.

Currently 95quid from http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/ which is
where I got mine.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote in :

In article ,

Invisible Man
writes
[...]

I also got a Honeywell CMT927 and it is excellent. You
need to decide whether you want the 7-day version (for
working people?) or the one day version (which is easier
to programme and change).

DAvy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:

I also got a Honeywell CMT927 and it is excellent. You
need to decide whether you want the 7-day version (for
working people?) or the one day version (which is easier
to programme and change).

The one day version (CM921) doesn't have the very useful "party" function
which allows you to override the temperature setting for a selected number
of hours http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/products/ecatdata/pg_cm920.html.
I don't know how much simpler the 1 day one is to program but the 7 day one
is quite straightforward anyway. We run the same programme every day on our
CM927 and it was a simple matter to copy the first day to the rest of the
days of the week. There doesn't seem to be much price difference between
them so the 7 day one looks like the better choice.

--
Mike Clarke