Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler

Hi All,

My boiler has started to loose pressure. The pressure dial reads zero in the
morning. I fix it but it is at zero again by lunch time. I have noticed that
water is now dripping from the overflow pipe outside.
What's going on any help please?

Kind Regards

Micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 10:26, "Micky Savage" wrote:
Hi All,

My boiler has started to loose pressure. The pressure dial reads zero in the
morning. I fix it but it is at zero again by lunch time. I have noticed that
water is now dripping from the overflow pipe outside.
What's going on any help please?

Kind Regards

Micky.

sounds like either the pressure relief valve that connects to the
overflow pipe has failed, or the expansion vessel. When the heating is
working how high does the pressure gauge go to. If it goes above about
2.5 the expansion vessel has possible failed. In this case the
pressure relief valve lets out the over pressure water. When the
system goes cold pressure drops and then is to low to restart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"comp.zrch.embedded" wrote in message
On 12 Jan, 10:26, "Micky Savage" wrote:
Hi All,

My boiler has started to loose pressure. The pressure dial reads zero in
the
morning. I fix it but it is at zero again by lunch time. I have noticed
that
water is now dripping from the overflow pipe outside.
What's going on any help please?

Kind Regards

Micky.

sounds like either the pressure relief valve that connects to the
overflow pipe has failed, or the expansion vessel. When the heating is
working how high does the pressure gauge go to. If it goes above about
2.5 the expansion vessel has possible failed. In this case the
pressure relief valve lets out the over pressure water. When the
system goes cold pressure drops and then is to low to restart.

Try turning the pressure release valve (if you can) (this lets water out)
and letting it "thwack" back several times. Soemtimes they will reseat.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:

sounds like either the pressure relief valve that connects to the
overflow pipe has failed, or the expansion vessel. When the heating
is working how high does the pressure gauge go to. If it goes above
about 2.5 the expansion vessel has possible failed. In this case the
pressure relief valve lets out the over pressure water. When the
system goes cold pressure drops and then is to low to restart.

Try turning the pressure release valve (if you can) (this lets water
out) and letting it "thwack" back several times. Soemtimes they will
reseat.

That *might* work if the problem is with the relief valve - but it's far
more likely to be an issue with the expansion vessel - and the relief valve
is just doing its job.

If the problem *is* with the expansion vessel, it's not *necessarily*
curtains - it may just need re-pressurising on the air side.
--
Cheers,
Roger