Senior Member

Question What is the correct fuse rating to cope this lot?!?

Am installing a new Aqualisa Digital shower and it calls to be protected by a 3A fuse.

Simple enough you may say, but I am also having the same switch isolate 2No downlighters in the shower and 2 mirror demisting pads. I have installed a fused switched spur outside the bathroom which will supply all of the above via a pull cord switch in the bathroom, the idea being that I know when the mirror pads/shower supplyis on by simply seeing the lights on in the shower!!

My question is: does the fuse need to be bigger to cater for the extra load?

Requirements as follows:

2No. 35w downlighters
1No. large mirror pad 100w
1No. small mirror pad 25w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is the correct fuse rating to cope this lot?!?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:05:55 +0000, Cordless Crazy
wrote:

Am installing a new Aqualisa Digital shower and it calls to be protected
by a 3A fuse.

Simple enough you may say, but I am also having the same switch isolate
2No downlighters in the shower and 2 mirror demisting pads. I have
installed a fused switched spur outside the bathroom which will supply
all of the above via a pull cord switch in the bathroom, the idea being
that I know when the mirror pads/shower supplyis on by simply seeing the
lights on in the shower!!

My question is: does the fuse need to be bigger to cater for the extra
load?

Requirements as follows:

2No. 35w downlighters
1No. large mirror pad 100w
1No. small mirror pad 25w

No problem at all - that lot totals less than 200W, which is under 1A.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message

Am installing a new Aqualisa Digital shower and it calls to be protected
by a 3A fuse.

Simple enough you may say, but I am also having the same switch isolate
2No downlighters in the shower and 2 mirror demisting pads. I have
installed a fused switched spur outside the bathroom which will supply
all of the above via a pull cord switch in the bathroom, the idea being
that I know when the mirror pads/shower supplyis on by simply seeing the
lights on in the shower!!

My question is: does the fuse need to be bigger to cater for the extra
load?

Requirements as follows:

2No. 35w downlighters
1No. large mirror pad 100w
1No. small mirror pad 25w

If you fit a bigger fuse you are no longer protecting it with a 3A fuse.
If a device states it *needs* a 3A fuse then that's what you should fit.

You need to know how much current the shower takes before you will know if a
3A can supply that and the others.
I would imagine it takes very little and you will be OK but you need the
figures to be sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Am installing a new Aqualisa Digital shower and it calls to be protected
by a 3A fuse.

Simple enough you may say, but I am also having the same switch isolate
2No downlighters in the shower and 2 mirror demisting pads. I have
installed a fused switched spur outside the bathroom which will supply
all of the above via a pull cord switch in the bathroom, the idea being
that I know when the mirror pads/shower supplyis on by simply seeing the
lights on in the shower!!

My question is: does the fuse need to be bigger to cater for the extra
load?

Requirements as follows:

2No. 35w downlighters
1No. large mirror pad 100w
1No. small mirror pad 25w

No problem at all - that lot totals less than 200W, which is under 1A.

Mains 35W downlighters will tease a 3A fuse.
You'll probably end up replacing it every time one dies.
You might choose some better lighting for the room instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:05:55 +0000 someone who may be Cordless Crazy
wrote this:-

Am installing a new Aqualisa Digital shower and it calls to be protected
by a 3A fuse.

You don't say what the load of this is.

Simple enough you may say, but I am also having the same switch isolate
2No downlighters in the shower and 2 mirror demisting pads. I have
installed a fused switched spur outside the bathroom which will supply
all of the above via a pull cord switch in the bathroom, the idea being
that I know when the mirror pads/shower supplyis on by simply seeing the
lights on in the shower!!

My question is: does the fuse need to be bigger to cater for the extra
load?

Requirements as follows:

2No. 35w downlighters
1No. large mirror pad 100w
1No. small mirror pad 25w

If I was doing this I might well provide 3A fuses for the shower,
mirror pads and each downlighter. Then they might discriminate with
the 13A fuse I would put in the connection unit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home;2092486 Wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Have checked out the spec for the shower and it states power
consumption is 5 watts in the idle position and 20 watts peak during
valve positioning (tis a simple electronic mixer). Does this help in
establishing whether the 3A fuse is ok?

so it uses next to nothing then.
I think you will be fine running it all from a 3A fuse.
However as a previous poster has said sometimes the halogen lamps can take
out a 3A fuse when they blow so you may want to put in two fuses one for the
lights and one for the shower.
If the wiring has been done I would just put in a 3A and see what happens
when the bulb blows next year.

Rating of main fuse Ben UK diy 22 October 7th 07 03:37 PM
Power & fuse rating M.Joshi UK diy 5 December 24th 06 12:48 PM
Fuse T4E 250V What is AMP rating?? -Alex Electronics Repair 5 July 21st 05 11:54 PM
Fuse Rating for Automotive Application alpha_uma Electronics 3 June 19th 05 07:22 AM
Fuse and main circuit breaker rating Ro UK diy 6 January 10th 05 10:19 AM