Senior Member

Question Power & fuse rating

Hi,

We are currently having our kitchen put in with a built in electric oven. The power consumption stated in the the oven literature is 3.6KW yet our builder keeps insisting that a 13A switched fuse spur socket should be fine.

I have tried explaining to him that with a 13A fuse the maximum power it can handle is 3120W.

He says that he has installed many electric (Fan assisted) ovens and even bigger ones than ours and he always uses a 13A switched fuse spur socket?

Surely from the basic formula, P = I * V the required fuse for the oven would be around 15A or am I missing something here?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power & fuse rating

--
M.Joshi

Actually it's worse than that as nominal voltage is now 230V so that
gives a current of 15.7A. What I would do is to install a seperate
radial circuit for this using a 20A breaker on 2.5mm cable via a cooker
outlet. This would comply with regs. Your builder is not complying with
regs and diversity only applies with a cooker and not just an oven. Is
your builder part P (building regs) registered? Has he done any kind of
testing of the circuit he intends to add your oven onto?
If he's done this with bigger ovens he's going to have a lot of
disgruntled customers wondering why the fuse keeps blowing or the
breaker keeps tripping whenever they put the kettle on while the oven
is on. Still these guys keep us sparkies in business fixing their
bodges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

M.Joshi writes:

Surely from the basic formula, P = I * V the required fuse for the oven
would be around 15A or am I missing something here?

* All these things (appliances, cookers, fuses, breakers) have a fair
tolerance. The mains voltage can be a few percent out too. Though
fuses and breakers will carry their rated load continuously and
probably a bit more.

* There may not be a regulation saying you can't but what if the
cooker's manual did say that it must be on its own circuit, the
cooker were to burst into flames one day and burn your house down
(because of a fault rather than the way you wired it) and the
insurance company found out.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
M.Joshi wrote:
We are currently having our kitchen put in with a built in electric
oven. The power consumption stated in the the oven literature is 3.6KW
yet our builder keeps insisting that a 13A switched fuse spur socket
should be fine.

If it is suitable for effectively running off a 13 amp supply it will come
with a fitted 13 amp lead and plug.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

M.Joshi wrote:

Hi,

We are currently having our kitchen put in with a built in electric
oven. The power consumption stated in the the oven literature is 3.6KW
yet our builder keeps insisting that a 13A switched fuse spur socket
should be fine.

I have tried explaining to him that with a 13A fuse the maximum power
it can handle is 3120W.

He says that he has installed many electric (Fan assisted) ovens and
even bigger ones than ours and he always uses a 13A switched fuse spur
socket?

Surely from the basic formula, P = I * V the required fuse for the oven
would be around 15A or am I missing something here?

Physically one can run that on a 13A plug, we used to have 15A loads on
13A plugs, but it should not be done, and you as a customer have a
right to expect a legal compliant installation, and to insist on such.
Also some makes of plug wont handle that current, and will end up
melting down.

Given his response I'd be keeping a good eye on the whole proceedings.

NT