Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob watkinson bob watkinson is offline

Default Power & fuse rating

M.Joshi wrote:
Hi,

We are currently having our kitchen put in with a built in electric
oven. The power consumption stated in the the oven literature is 3.6KW
yet our builder keeps insisting that a 13A switched fuse spur socket
should be fine.

I have tried explaining to him that with a 13A fuse the maximum power
it can handle is 3120W.

He says that he has installed many electric (Fan assisted) ovens and
even bigger ones than ours and he always uses a 13A switched fuse spur
socket?

Surely from the basic formula, P = I * V the required fuse for the oven
would be around 15A or am I missing something here?

--
M.Joshi

Actually it's worse than that as nominal voltage is now 230V so that
gives a current of 15.7A. What I would do is to install a seperate
radial circuit for this using a 20A breaker on 2.5mm cable via a cooker
outlet. This would comply with regs. Your builder is not complying with
regs and diversity only applies with a cooker and not just an oven. Is
your builder part P (building regs) registered? Has he done any kind of
testing of the circuit he intends to add your oven onto?
If he's done this with bigger ovens he's going to have a lot of
disgruntled customers wondering why the fuse keeps blowing or the
breaker keeps tripping whenever they put the kettle on while the oven
is on. Still these guys keep us sparkies in business fixing their
bodges.