Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vokera 80-20 Flowmatic - 'fully modulating' for shower?

Hi

I'm about the get the bathroom done, and looking at the modern showers
there's a lot of stuff about having a 'fully modulating' combi boiler
if you want any of the fancy thermostatic ones (eg Mira Combiforce),

I've got a pretty old Vokera 80-20 Flowmatic, and I don't know whether
it is fully modulating or not - can anyone tell me?

Does it really matter about this - or should I be looking for a new
boiler as well if I want to get one of these showers?

Thanks

James
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
JamesReed writes
Hi

I'm about the get the bathroom done, and looking at the modern showers
there's a lot of stuff about having a 'fully modulating' combi boiler
if you want any of the fancy thermostatic ones (eg Mira Combiforce),

I've got a pretty old Vokera 80-20 Flowmatic, and I don't know whether
it is fully modulating or not - can anyone tell me?

Does it really matter about this - or should I be looking for a new
boiler as well if I want to get one of these showers?

AFAICS that is a step modulating boiler, the installation instructions
describe its operation as, "modulating between high and low flame"
rather than continuously modulating.

I know a couple of people with step modulating Vokeras and both houses
have electric showers which may be a good indication of what suits them.
You would need to be certain of having enough flow to keep the boiler on
high flame at all times which given the available hot flow on these old
timers shouldn't be too hard but I would be wary of buying an expensive
shower on that assumption.
--
fred