Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 100w Light Bulbs.

Has anyone else noticed the disapperance of 100w light bulbs from the
supermarkets and B&Q?
Aparrently for environmental reasons - but now I need to replace my
light fittings with ones that will take multiple 60w bulbs :-(

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 11:03, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the disapperance of 100w light bulbs from the
supermarkets and B&Q?
Aparrently for environmental reasons - but now I need to replace my
light fittings with ones that will take multiple 60w bulbs :-(

Mark.

Do what everyone else is doing - replace them with multiple 50W
downlighters, much better for the environment!

A friend of mine has just had 20 of those put in her kitchen!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 6 Jan, 11:03, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the disapperance of 100w light bulbs from the
supermarkets and B&Q?
Aparrently for environmental reasons - but now I need to replace my
light fittings with ones that will take multiple 60w bulbs :-(

Mark.

Do what everyone else is doing - replace them with multiple 50W
downlighters, much better for the environment!

A friend of mine has just had 20 of those put in her kitchen!

A kilowatt is better for the environment?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed the disapperance of 100w light bulbs from the
supermarkets and B&Q?
Aparrently for environmental reasons - but now I need to replace my
light fittings with ones that will take multiple 60w bulbs :-(

You can still get them if you try.

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pro...100w-bc-pearl/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James Salisbury nntp.dsl.pipex.com writes:
It aint that bad, OSRAM have started to do direct halogen replacements
for GLS bulbs, Sainsburys sell them. They consist of a halogen capsule
lamp inside a secondary bulb with a BC or ES cap. They take a little
less power, 42W for the same output as a 60W.

They aren't the same light output (and don't claim to be).
Neither do they meet the proposed EU requirements on efficiency
to survive the EU ban.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
James Salisbury nntp.dsl.pipex.com wrote:

It aint that bad, OSRAM have started to do direct halogen replacements
for GLS bulbs, Sainsburys sell them. They consist of a halogen capsule
lamp inside a secondary bulb with a BC or ES cap. They take a little
less power, 42W for the same output as a 60W.

I was worried by this whole thing but it seems there are halogens
coming out to get round it all? Now, do you think there will be a
halogen dimmable to replace my dimmed screw thread incandescent
reflector spotlamps?

I hope not.
Dimming incandescent lamps waste even more energy.
What you need is separately switched lamps so you can switch on as many as
needed.
If you frequently use a dimmer you have the wrong lamps.
--
all thumbs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I was worried by this whole thing but it seems there are halogens
coming out to get round it all? Now, do you think there will be a
halogen dimmable to replace my dimmed screw thread incandescent
reflector spotlamps?

I hope not.
Dimming incandescent lamps waste even more energy.

Using a dimmer will reduce the energy consumption. It will however also
reduce the efficiency of the lamps in terms of lumens per watt. Then
again, so what? The purpose of dimmers is to control the lighting
levels, not save energy.

What you need is separately switched lamps so you can switch on as many
as needed.
If you frequently use a dimmer you have the wrong lamps.

Depends on when and how you dim really. If you regularly run lots of
high power lighting at a small fraction of its regular output, then you
would be better off with a switchbank and/or smaller bulbs. If however
what you want is the occasional ability to lower the lighting level, or
just trim a small reduction in brightness in (plus a corresponding
increase in lamp life) then they are just the ticket. They are also
simpler to retrofit in most cases than banked switching.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 5:03*am, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the disapperance of 100w light bulbs from the
supermarkets and B&Q?
Aparrently for environmental reasons - but now I need to replace my
light fittings with ones that will take multiple 60w bulbs :-(

Mark.

Do what is smart, use 25w cfls. Why anyone still buys those energy
wasting dinosours for lamps and most aplications is dumb.

Did you know an incandesant bulb is actualy an electric heater
putting out light you can see as a byproduct. Think of it this way,
92-96 % of the energy consumed is radiated as heat, only 4-8% is light
you can see. And since you pay more for electricity per Btu its a
looser, especialy in summer with the AC on.

Every building I run I have cut electric consumption by 50%, just
from Cfls and T8s. Sure for down lights, motion sensors, work lights,
and a few aplications Edisons old invention is better. Buy quality
soft or warm white ones with a warranty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 13:41, ransley wrote:
On Jan 6, 5:03*am, wrote:

[...]

In an office environment with multiple light sources I'm sure this
isn't a problem - but in my home where I typically have only a single
light in the middle of the ceiling the energy saving bulbs don't
produce anywhere near the same about of light.

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 6 Jan, 13:41, ransley wrote:
On Jan 6, 5:03 am, wrote:

[...]

IMHO they are crap, I fitted 3 x 11W cfls, switched them on and whoa,
impressive.
A few weeks later, switch them on and struggle to find a chair in the
darkness.
After that, even when they're warmed-up they've lost boatloads of light
compared to new ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ransley wrote:

Every building I run I have cut electric consumption by 50%, just
from Cfls and T8s. Sure for down lights, motion sensors, work lights,
and a few aplications Edisons old invention is better. Buy quality
soft or warm white ones with a warranty.

Motion sensors?

I've just replaced a fixed outdoor light with one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
ransley wrote:

Every building I run I have cut electric consumption by 50%, just
from Cfls and T8s. Sure for down lights, motion sensors, work lights,
and a few aplications Edisons old invention is better. Buy quality
soft or warm white ones with a warranty.

Motion sensors?

I've just replaced a fixed outdoor light with one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

"Brightness is equivalent to about 300W incandescent lamp."

That's a lie, for a start.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce writes:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've just replaced a fixed outdoor light with one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

"Brightness is equivalent to about 300W incandescent lamp."

That's a lie, for a start.

It's probably nearer to 100W linear halogen in that application.
The large size of the light source and self-shadowing of the tube
severely impact the overall efficiency in reflector applications
like this, so you're probably looking at a 3:1 ratio.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
Bruce writes:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've just replaced a fixed outdoor light with one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

"Brightness is equivalent to about 300W incandescent lamp."

That's a lie, for a start.

It's probably nearer to 100W linear halogen in that application.
The large size of the light source and self-shadowing of the tube
severely impact the overall efficiency in reflector applications
like this, so you're probably looking at a 3:1 ratio.

That's more like it.

I might even have been slightly more generous,
and allowed a claim of 4:1. But 8.3:1 ?

(300/36)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bruce writes:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've just replaced a fixed outdoor light with one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

"Brightness is equivalent to about 300W incandescent lamp."

That's a lie, for a start.

It's probably nearer to 100W linear halogen in that application.
The large size of the light source and self-shadowing of the tube
severely impact the overall efficiency in reflector applications
like this, so you're probably looking at a 3:1 ratio.

Thats not the only pork pie. Note the tubes have 2 prongs at each end,
not one, so theyre filament ended. No-one has ever managed to get
6000hr lamp life out of a filament ended fluorescent tube when using
them with on times of 2 minutes. 6000hrs if you run them for 3 hrs
each time, sure. Filament ended lamps are usually good for around 1000
starts, and 2000 minutes is about 33 hours. Pork pie factor: about
200!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
ransley wrote:

Every building I run I have cut electric consumption by 50%, just
from Cfls and T8s. Sure for down lights, motion sensors, work lights,
and a few aplications Edisons old invention is better. Buy quality
soft or warm white ones with a warranty.

Motion sensors?

I've just replaced a fixed outdoor light with one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

"Brightness is equivalent to about 300W incandescent lamp."

That's a lie, for a start.

Maybe, but I don't actually care. It does what I need it do do which is
light up a very dark area outside my house.

The only thing I have to compare it with is my father in law who has
some 250W halogen lights in the same (or what looks like the same)
enclosure. This appears brighter, but I know that's hardly a scientific
test, nor do I care. What I do know is that my unit runs at 35W, his
250W and it seems as light, if not more so to me.

But from my point of view - it's an outside light, PIR activated, timer,
constant-on facility, very bright, puts less money in the pockets of
the greedy power company shareholders. Job done

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Bruce wrote:

"Brightness is equivalent to about 300W incandescent lamp."

That's a lie, for a start.

Maybe, but I don't actually care.

It's your call.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 8:55*am, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,

ransley wrote:
Every building I run I have cut electric consumption by 50%, just
from Cfls and T8s. *Sure for down lights, motion sensors, work lights,
and a few aplications Edisons old invention is better. Buy quality
soft or warm white ones with a warranty.

Motion sensors?

I've just replaced a fixed outdoor light with one of these:

*http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

Gordon

New ones are better but here in the US we get a bit colder than you
lucky folks, down to -20 farenhite thats -30 c, at that temp it takes
about 15 minutes to get the flood type bright and 5 minutes for cfl
type.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 06:23:05 -0800, ransley wrote:
CFL. Instant start to full brightness. Works a treat. Very bright indeed.

New ones are better but here in the US we get a bit colder than you
lucky folks, down to -20 farenhite thats -30 c, at that temp it takes
about 15 minutes to get the flood type bright and 5 minutes for cfl
type.

Bit colder still in my part of the US, and CFLs plain don't work outdoors
in the winter. Thankfully there still seems to be a plentiful supply of
incandescents here. (I also looked at some special low-temp tube
fluorescents the other week for our garage, but even they were only rated
down to -20F). We've got some big halogens in the outdoor security lights
though, and haven't had any problems with those. Some low-voltage halogens
for the out-buildings might be the way to go...

--
"What progress. It's almost as good as taping it... on tapes which self destruct in seven days."

- Bill Bailey on the BBC's "watch again" service

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 05:41:15 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 6, 5:03*am, wrote:
[...]

Swan's invention.
Edison pinched the idea from him
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:59:51 UTC, jal wrote:

Am I missing something? Why don't you just replace them with "energy
saving" equivalents -- I think it's 20W to replace 100W tungsten.

You're having a laugh.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:59:51 UTC, jal wrote:

Am I missing something? Why don't you just replace them with "energy
saving" equivalents -- I think it's 20W to replace 100W tungsten.

You're having a laugh.

The manufacturers got me with that con too. 20W energy saving bulbs are
crap - at least in terms of amount and "quality" of light. I've also had
such bulbs fail after a few weeks, they are also temperamental in my
cold garage and workshop. Not impressed. So I've stocked up on 100 watt
incandescent bulbs and have enough to last for several years, or until
the manufacturers turn out a decent alternative at a reasonable price.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:19:54 UTC, David in Normandy
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:59:51 UTC, jal wrote:

Am I missing something? Why don't you just replace them with "energy
saving" equivalents -- I think it's 20W to replace 100W tungsten.

You're having a laugh.

The manufacturers got me with that con too. 20W energy saving bulbs are
crap - at least in terms of amount and "quality" of light. I've also had
such bulbs fail after a few weeks, they are also temperamental in my
cold garage and workshop. Not impressed. So I've stocked up on 100 watt
incandescent bulbs and have enough to last for several years, or until
the manufacturers turn out a decent alternative at a reasonable price.

So have I.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:59:51 UTC, jal wrote:

Am I missing something? Why don't you just replace them with "energy
saving" equivalents -- I think it's 20W to replace 100W tungsten.

You're having a laugh.

The manufacturers got me with that con too. 20W energy saving bulbs are
crap - at least in terms of amount and "quality" of light. I've also had
such bulbs fail after a few weeks, they are also temperamental in my
cold garage and workshop. Not impressed. So I've stocked up on 100 watt
incandescent bulbs and have enough to last for several years, or until
the manufacturers turn out a decent alternative at a reasonable price.

So have I.

http://www.diybanter.com

Anyone know where you can still get 100W bulbs in the shops? I could
order some on the net,
but its a bit of a pain. I won't have chance to look around locally
until Saturday.
Somehow this 100W business escaped my attention. But I'll start
stockpiling
60W bulbs, getting a few each time I go to the supermarket !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:59:51 UTC, jal wrote:

Am I missing something? Why don't you just replace them with "energy
saving" equivalents -- I think it's 20W to replace 100W tungsten.

You're having a laugh.

The manufacturers got me with that con too. 20W energy saving bulbs are
crap - at least in terms of amount and "quality" of light. I've also had
such bulbs fail after a few weeks, they are also temperamental in my cold
garage and workshop. Not impressed. So I've stocked up on 100 watt
incandescent bulbs and have enough to last for several years, or until the
manufacturers turn out a decent alternative at a reasonable price.

There already is.. 5ft tubes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The manufacturers got me with that con too. 20W energy saving bulbs
are crap - at least in terms of amount and "quality" of light. I've
also had such bulbs fail after a few weeks, they are also
temperamental in my cold garage and workshop. Not impressed. So I've
stocked up on 100 watt incandescent bulbs and have enough to last for
several years, or until the manufacturers turn out a decent
alternative at a reasonable price.

There already is.. 5ft tubes.

Granted, for garage and workshop, I wouldn't want any inside my home though.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
So I've stocked up on 100 watt incandescent bulbs and have enough to
last for several years

I've been meaning to do that for a while, and hearing about shops
running down stock has goaded me into actually doing something about it.

How much do you think is "enough for several years"? I've surveyed the
bulb numbers and types that I want to keep incandescent for the
forseeable, now I want to multiply that by some number of "expected
replacements". Essentially, for each installed bulb, how many "backups"
do I need? I don't have vastly more or less of one particular type than
any other, so no need to apply "diversity" type thinking.

Anyone have a finger-in-the-air estimate of how many replacements I
should bank on? I'm not trying to last out till I die, only till
something better than current CFLs comes along.

Cheers,

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:25:26 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

Anyone have a finger-in-the-air estimate of how many replacements I
should bank on? I'm not trying to last out till I die, only till
something better than current CFLs comes along.

Unless you are a babe in arms you'd be better off with the stockpile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote:

2) 20 W CFL's at a sensible price are hard to find.

GE from ASDA or Tesco.

Very cheap, £1.03 to £1.43.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"tim....." wrote:

2) 20 W CFL's at a sensible price are hard to find.

GE from ASDA or Tesco.

Very cheap, £1.03 to £1.43.

All they had in my Tesco today was @ 2.49.

I could buy an "economy" 11 W for 35p.

They didn't have any 100W normal bulbs, neither did the (local) cheepie
store, nor did Wilkinsons. Dyas only had screw fittings (I actually have one
lamp that takes these so I bought 5 years supply, i.e 2), ditto Wicks.

So, unless I going to risk a round trip 8 mile bike ride to B&Q (with no
guarantee of success), looks like I am stuffed.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:41:03 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"tim....." wrote:

2) 20 W CFL's at a sensible price are hard to find.

GE from ASDA or Tesco.

Very cheap, £1.03 to £1.43.

All they had in my Tesco today was @ 2.49.

I could buy an "economy" 11 W for 35p.

They didn't have any 100W normal bulbs, neither did the (local) cheepie
store, nor did Wilkinsons. Dyas only had screw fittings (I actually have one
lamp that takes these so I bought 5 years supply, i.e 2), ditto Wicks.

So, unless I going to risk a round trip 8 mile bike ride to B&Q (with no
guarantee of success), looks like I am stuffed.

I had a glance at the tungsten bulbs in a B&Q Warehouse today. There
were dozens of people looking around for 100W ones - unsuccessfully.

In fact they, at least here, haven't had any for months.

I bought a few 60W ones for my stockpile.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 23:31:10 +0000, tim..... wrote:
3) CFL's have a very long "start up" time. If I want a bright bulb in a
room the chances are that I want it to come on instantly!

Well, they use less energy to run than incandescents, so why not
simply leave them on all the time?

4) CFL's fade over time. Aa 100W equivalent when new, is a 60W
equivalent after 18 months

Wear sunglasses in the house of ever-increasing transparency as time goes
on, thus maintaining an apparent constant level of brightness.

(it's been that sort of day today ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"tim....." writes:

"jal" wrote in message

Am I missing something? Why don't you just replace them with "energy
saving" equivalents -- I think it's 20W to replace 100W tungsten.
"Everyone's a winner." (yeah yeah)

Because:

1) 20 W CFL does not replace a 100W

Indeed -- you need nearer a 25W one as frequently mentioned here.

2) 20 W CFL's at a sensible price are hard to find.

Keep an eye out, and buy some stock when you see them.
Costco had some Feit ones which I'm very impressed with.
Fortunately I bought another 3 packs after trying some,
as they've since run out of the BC ones. (Presumably
other people found them very good too.)

3) CFL's have a very long "start up" time. If I want a bright bulb in a
room the chances are that I want it to come on instantly!

There's only one room where that's the case for me.
In all other rooms, the warm up time is not a problem,
and in a few cases it's a positive advantage. Note
that warm up applies to all fluorescent lamps, not just
CFLs.

4) CFL's fade over time. Aa 100W equivalent when new, is a 60W equivalent
after 18 months

Filament lamps fade over time too. A 100W lamp will have lost
20% of its output at normal end of life.

One trouble with CFLs is they often don't die at end of lifetime,
and people are too used to running lamps until they die. They then
complain that they're dim, when they're well past their rated
lifetime, and should have been replaced. You might think about
marking them with a "use by" date when you fit them, based on
rated lifetime and expected frequency of use.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"tim....." writes:

"jal" wrote in message

[...]

I have no problem with throwing away a 20p light bulb early.

I do have a problem with throwing away a GBP 6.49 (which is what the higher
rated ones in Wicks were costing today) light bulb early

tim

Comparison of Low Energy bulbs (was Compulsory low-energy light-bulbs) Derek Geldard UK diy 1 March 16th 07 04:52 PM
light bulbs FH Home Repair 16 February 22nd 07 02:52 AM
600 C-9 light bulbs gus Home Repair 20 December 23rd 06 06:02 PM
Spotlight bulbs: R63 100W? Bert Coules UK diy 0 May 17th 05 01:54 PM
100w spotlights in multiple-light fitting - desperately sought Spamfree! UK diy 10 January 18th 05 11:24 AM