Posted to uk.d-i-y
brass monkey brass monkey is offline

Default 100w Light Bulbs.

wrote in message
On 6 Jan, 13:41, ransley wrote:
On Jan 6, 5:03 am, wrote:

Has anyone else noticed the disapperance of 100w light bulbs from the
supermarkets and B&Q?
Aparrently for environmental reasons - but now I need to replace my
light fittings with ones that will take multiple 60w bulbs :-(

Mark.

Do what is smart, use 25w cfls. Why anyone still buys those energy
wasting dinosours for lamps and most aplications is dumb.

Did you know an incandesant bulb is actualy an electric heater
putting out light you can see as a byproduct. Think of it this way,
92-96 % of the energy consumed is radiated as heat, only 4-8% is light
you can see. And since you pay more for electricity per Btu its a
looser, especialy in summer with the AC on.

Every building I run I have cut electric consumption by 50%, just
from Cfls and T8s. Sure for down lights, motion sensors, work lights,
and a few aplications Edisons old invention is better. Buy quality
soft or warm white ones with a warranty.

In an office environment with multiple light sources I'm sure this
isn't a problem - but in my home where I typically have only a single
light in the middle of the ceiling the energy saving bulbs don't
produce anywhere near the same about of light.

IMHO they are crap, I fitted 3 x 11W cfls, switched them on and whoa,
impressive.
A few weeks later, switch them on and struggle to find a chair in the
darkness.
After that, even when they're warmed-up they've lost boatloads of light
compared to new ones.