Posted to uk.d-i-y
ajp ajp is offline

Default Reduce power from basin taps

Just fitted a pair of new lever 1/4 turn wash basin taps (from the Screwfix
commercial range) and they're fine except that the jet of water is so
powerful if turned on full the water has a tendency to jump out of the wash
basin and soak your feet :-)

There are plastic inserts in the taps, presumably to improve water flow. If
I was to take them out would the water power be reduced and still flow Ok?

Question 2 is - how do I get them out - I guess they're a push fit. I'd like
to be able to get them out and, if it makes things worse, put them back
again.

The actual taps are H&C Commercial Lever Bath Tap Pair on view at
http://tinyurl.com/853tnc

Alan
--
email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:31:56 +0000, ajp wrote:

Just fitted a pair of new lever 1/4 turn wash basin taps (from the Screwfix
commercial range) and they're fine except that the jet of water is so
powerful if turned on full the water has a tendency to jump out of the wash
basin and soak your feet :-)

There are plastic inserts in the taps, presumably to improve water flow. If
I was to take them out would the water power be reduced and still flow Ok?

Question 2 is - how do I get them out - I guess they're a push fit. I'd like
to be able to get them out and, if it makes things worse, put them backagain.

If you mean in the end of the tap then you'll probably find they screw
in and out but I have found they come loose after a time .They do
affect the way the water comes out of the taps but would valves in the
supply pipes not work better .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ajp wrote:
Just fitted a pair of new lever 1/4 turn wash basin taps (from the
Screwfix commercial range) and they're fine except that the jet of
water is so powerful if turned on full the water has a tendency to
jump out of the wash basin and soak your feet :-)

There are plastic inserts in the taps, presumably to improve water
flow. If I was to take them out would the water power be reduced and
still flow Ok?

Question 2 is - how do I get them out - I guess they're a push fit.
I'd like to be able to get them out and, if it makes things worse,
put them back again.

The actual taps are H&C Commercial Lever Bath Tap Pair on view at
http://tinyurl.com/853tnc

Alan

If you are refering to the plastic inserts up the end of the tap, then these
jusr direct the water down nicley, if anything, they will rstrict the flow,
not make it better.

Do you have service valves under the basin, like these?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52623

If not, then if you fit them, you can then reduce the flow with them.

I had this same problem in my cloakroom with a small basin and a waterfall
type tape like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=390011573510

It ended up so powerfull, it would shoot out and hit the other side of the
basin splashing everywhere, a quick tweak of the service valve sorted the
problem.

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ajp ajp is offline

Toby wrote:

ajp wrote:
[...]

I had enough fun and games replacing the taps - a job for a contortionist in
our rather small and cramped bathroom - so I'd rather not have to do more
plumbing there until my neck & back have recovered.

I'll have a go at /gently/ unscrewing the inserts to see if it helps.

Alan
--
email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ajp wrote:
Toby wrote:

ajp wrote:
[...]

In future,whenever you do any plumbing work to "end" items such as taps,
toilets etc, always fit some isolation valves!
The cost very little, and are extremely useful later on, saves turning off
all the water to do maintenance, or if a tap is faulty, and needs to be
isolated, then you can just turn this off, without depriving the rest of the
house from water :-)

If your new tap has flexible tails, then these will usually just screw
directly to the isolation valve too...

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ajp" wrote in message
[...]

The plastic inserts may be to straighten the flow - or to aerate it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ajp" wrote in message
[...]

What about fitting some Flow regulator ball valves:

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp

scroll to bottom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ajp wrote:

Just fitted a pair of new lever 1/4 turn wash basin taps (from the Screwfix
commercial range) and they're fine except that the jet of water is so
powerful if turned on full the water has a tendency to jump out of the wash
basin and soak your feet :-)

There are plastic inserts in the taps, presumably to improve water flow. If
I was to take them out would the water power be reduced and still flow Ok?

Question 2 is - how do I get them out - I guess they're a push fit. I'd like
to be able to get them out and, if it makes things worse, put them back
again.

The actual taps are H&C Commercial Lever Bath Tap Pair on view at
http://tinyurl.com/853tnc

Alan

If you're not prepared to fit an iso valve, next best thing is to
apply a clamp to the pipe and screw it part shut. Have the water on
while doing it of course, you cant go back

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ajp ajp is offline

ajp wrote:

Just fitted a pair of new lever 1/4 turn wash basin taps (from the
Screwfix commercial range) and they're fine except that the jet of water
is so powerful if turned on full the water has a tendency to jump out of
the wash basin and soak your feet :-)

There are plastic inserts in the taps, presumably to improve water flow.
If I was to take them out would the water power be reduced and still flow
Ok?

Question 2 is - how do I get them out - I guess they're a push fit. I'd
like to be able to get them out and, if it makes things worse, put them
back again.

The actual taps are H&C Commercial Lever Bath Tap Pair on view at
http://tinyurl.com/853tnc

Alan

I seem to have started something here :-)

Seriously, all I really wanted to know was how to get the inserts (aerators
or whatever) out without damage so I could re-fit them if there was no
improvement.

Thanks for all the other suggestions though :-)

Alan
--
email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:03:39 +0000, ajp wrote:

ajp wrote:

[...]

What's keeping you .Have you not done it yet? :-)

where to buy basin taps david UK diy 6 December 31st 07 08:32 PM
Basin mixer taps [email protected] UK diy 8 December 2nd 07 06:58 AM
basin taps combo Arthur UK diy 12 July 15th 05 09:35 PM
Taps on basin keep moving John Stumbles UK diy 1 August 12th 03 08:42 AM
Champagne mixer basin taps Martin UK diy 5 July 14th 03 09:48 AM