Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default light under bath?

Hello,

Happy New Year to you all.

I notice that my kitchen light is a bit off-centre and I think this is
because the bath is directly over the centre of the kitchen. Is there
a regulation regarding lights on the floor beneath a bathroom? I know
under a bath is zone 0 but I thought this stopped at the floorboards;
not beneath them.

Is there an electrocution risk if a light is directly beneath the
bath? I guess this is why my kitchen light was moved to one side. Is
there a regulation or safety reason preventing me moving the light?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

Happy New Year to you all.

I notice that my kitchen light is a bit off-centre and I think this is
because the bath is directly over the centre of the kitchen. Is there
a regulation regarding lights on the floor beneath a bathroom? I know
under a bath is zone 0 but I thought this stopped at the floorboards;
not beneath them.

Is there an electrocution risk if a light is directly beneath the
bath? I guess this is why my kitchen light was moved to one side. Is
there a regulation or safety reason preventing me moving the light?

Thanks.

Therse is no electrical reason not to move the kitchen light to the centre
of the room.

Possible reasons for the light being off centre are

1. On a rewire someone did not want to remove the bath side and so off set
the light

2. On a newbuild the walls of the kitchen were not built on the electrical
first fix and the electrician could not read a plan or the walls were
altered later.

Probably lot of other reasons

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:02:26 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

The OP doesn't say specifically, but most likely that a centre point given
by two crossed diagonals doesn't correspond to a joist location, so the
light msy be more or less central in one plane but off-centre in the other
depending on joist position.

--

The Wanderer

The future isn't what it used to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Happy New Year to you all.

I notice that my kitchen light is a bit off-centre and I think this is
because the bath is directly over the centre of the kitchen. Is there
a regulation regarding lights on the floor beneath a bathroom? I know
under a bath is zone 0 but I thought this stopped at the floorboards;
not beneath them.

Is there an electrocution risk if a light is directly beneath the
bath? I guess this is why my kitchen light was moved to one side. Is
there a regulation or safety reason preventing me moving the light?

Thanks.

Best to have a light under the bath and near the shower so that any
leaks or improper use mean the water runs through the hole in the
ceiling where the light is fitted instead of bringing the ceiling down.
Fluorescent or other low energy lights are best because they are not hot
enough to shatter when water reaches them.
Do make sure water pipes are earthed to current standards!

If an uninterrupted stream of water was escaping from a plastic outlet
from a plastic bath and it reached only a live wire presumably the water
in the bath would become live but no current would flow unless an
occupant touched an earthed tap?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Hello,

Happy New Year to you all.

I notice that my kitchen light is a bit off-centre and I think this is
because the bath is directly over the centre of the kitchen. Is there
a regulation regarding lights on the floor beneath a bathroom? I know
under a bath is zone 0 but I thought this stopped at the floorboards;
not beneath them.

Is there an electrocution risk if a light is directly beneath the
bath? I guess this is why my kitchen light was moved to one side. Is
there a regulation or safety reason preventing me moving the light?

Thanks.

No zone 0 is in the bath. Under the bath it's not zoned

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Happy New Year to you all.

I notice that my kitchen light is a bit off-centre and I think this is
because the bath is directly over the centre of the kitchen. Is there
a regulation regarding lights on the floor beneath a bathroom? I know
under a bath is zone 0 but I thought this stopped at the floorboards;
not beneath them.

Is there an electrocution risk if a light is directly beneath the
bath? I guess this is why my kitchen light was moved to one side. Is
there a regulation or safety reason preventing me moving the light?

Thanks.

as said no regulations on it. If it were mine I'd use a class 1 metal
earthed fitting though, that way if the bath overflows no-one gets
electrocuted.

NT

Options for a light 300mm from the bath 405 TD Estate UK diy 0 March 6th 08 08:51 AM
Bath light bar Jim Home Repair 6 June 16th 07 11:51 PM
Bath Exhaust/Light/Heat combo unit [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 14th 06 06:49 AM
Replacing old light switch in bath. [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 19th 06 12:22 AM
Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath mfcexpert UK diy 10 December 12th 03 10:26 PM