Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default light under bath?

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Happy New Year to you all.

I notice that my kitchen light is a bit off-centre and I think this is
because the bath is directly over the centre of the kitchen. Is there
a regulation regarding lights on the floor beneath a bathroom? I know
under a bath is zone 0 but I thought this stopped at the floorboards;
not beneath them.

Is there an electrocution risk if a light is directly beneath the
bath? I guess this is why my kitchen light was moved to one side. Is
there a regulation or safety reason preventing me moving the light?

Thanks.

Best to have a light under the bath and near the shower so that any
leaks or improper use mean the water runs through the hole in the
ceiling where the light is fitted instead of bringing the ceiling down.
Fluorescent or other low energy lights are best because they are not hot
enough to shatter when water reaches them.
Do make sure water pipes are earthed to current standards!

If an uninterrupted stream of water was escaping from a plastic outlet
from a plastic bath and it reached only a live wire presumably the water
in the bath would become live but no current would flow unless an
occupant touched an earthed tap?