Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge-freezer, freezer ranges -10C to -28C?

Indesit fridge-freezer; 3.5 years old. In the last two days I have
noticed that the freezer part ranges between about -10C to -28C --- from
noting what a separate thermometer reads when I open the door.

I was alerted to it via a (separate) freezer alarm; thus the behaviour
is at least somewhat abnormal for the unit, though I have not manually
monitored the temperature before.

Nor have I ever monitored the temperature in the fridge, which now I
notice sometimes has ice on its inside back panel (when the freezer is
coldest) and sometimes water droplets (when the freezer is warmest).

It's in the kitchen, the temperature of which may swing between +10C and
+20C.

My local appliance repair man has just left; he says relax and leave it
as it is and to blame the relatively cold weather that we have been
experiencing and that they have recently had loads of similar reports.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Maybe I can keep the freezer colder by
setting the fridge thermostat lower (colder)?

In the meantime I have transferred the contents of the freezer to small
chest freezer (a much better freezer solution IMHO, but I just don't
have the space for it as a permanent solution.)

TIA,

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
[...]

Is it as I suspect a frost free? Its no good as it is, get someone who
can fix it..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:43:33 +0000, Jonathan Campbell wrote:

Indesit fridge-freezer; 3.5 years old. In the last two days I have
noticed that the freezer part ranges between about -10C to -28C --- from
noting what a separate thermometer reads when I open the door.

Single compressor?

The overnight cold may not be letting the fridge part warm up enough and
thus starting the compressor to cool both sections. Common problem, look
at the rating plate and the part for "Class" it'll be a letter or two
letter combination. Google is then your friend to translate that into the
enviromental temperature range that the unit is designed to handle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jonathan Campbell writes:
[...]

Check the instructions. You'll probably find it's not
designed to work below 10°C, the consequence of which
is that the fridge doesn't need enough cooling to keep
the freezer cold enough.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Campbell writes:
Indesit fridge-freezer; 3.5 years old. In the last two days I have
noticed that the freezer part ranges between about -10C to -28C --- from
noting what a separate thermometer reads when I open the door.

[...]

Check the instructions. You'll probably find it's not
designed to work below 10°C, the consequence of which
is that the fridge doesn't need enough cooling to keep
the freezer cold enough.

Yes,from the instructions: "If the room temperature remains below 14C
for an extended period ... the freezer will not reach the temperatures
required ... storage life will be shorter."

Certainly, the same temperature conditions would have occurred
frequently during the past few winters; OTOH, I may not have had the
alarm in place (installed I thought more than a year ago, but maybe not).

But nonetheless would one expect such large swings of temperature in the
freezer? Yes, the -10C is explained, but why the -30C? I'm thinking of
my previous f-f. which had a temperature readout on the freezer; that
seemed to stay at a constant -18C. Had that a separate freezer
compressor? I don't know.

Are there fridge-freezers which are less subject to such problems?
Separate compressors?

In any case, I needlessly keep far too much food for far too long in the
freezer (three supermarkets within walking distance); maybe that is the
main lesson for now.

Many thanks,

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Campbell writes:
[...]

There was a thread here? recently. Even stand alone freezers now have
problems in cold areas. May be because greenhouse gases are no longer
used. There are freezers that will apparently run in cooler temperatures
but I have no idea where you should look. Hopefully someone else will.