Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Incoming 3-phase main

I'm finally getting YEDL/NEDL to install seperate
metered supplies to my flats to replace their
parasitic connection to the shop downstairs,
but their chap says I need to install a 100mm/4"
cable duct. That seems overlarge to me, I could
get my arm down that. All the hockey sticks on
buildings around me are about 4cm, not 4inch.
Before I spent another afternoon widening my
4cm hole to 4inches, and trekking back to
Dewsons for larger ducting, does that sound right?

Ta.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 7:43*pm, jgharston wrote:
I'm finally getting YEDL/NEDL to install seperate
metered supplies to my flats to replace their
parasitic connection to the shop downstairs,
but their chap says I need to install a 100mm/4"
cable duct. That seems overlarge to me, I could
get my arm down that. All the hockey sticks on
buildings around me are about 4cm, not 4inch.
Before I spent another afternoon widening my
4cm hole to 4inches, and trekking back to
Dewsons for larger ducting, does that sound right?

Ta.

--
JGH

Not knowledgeable on this but curious to know the answer to the need.
Duct is to accommodate:
Four wires?
What size or gauge?
Also a fifth earth/ground wire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm finally getting YEDL/NEDL to install seperate
metered supplies to my flats to replace their
parasitic connection to the shop downstairs,
but their chap says I need to install a 100mm/4"
cable duct. That seems overlarge to me, I could
get my arm down that

4" is used in our neck of the woods for *any* 3ph incomer - try
getting a 35mm waveform through a 2" duct :-}

(the cable might be bigger as well, depending on the number of flats
and type of heating)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
but their chap says I need to install a 100mm/4"
cable duct. That seems overlarge to me, I could

4" is used in our neck of the woods for *any* 3ph incomer - try
(the cable might be bigger as well, depending on the number of flats

Two flats, one landlord supply for staircase, gas heating.

Ok, I've got time off work this week, I'll just make the hole
bigger and see if Dewson's'll take the hockey stock back.

Receipts? What are they?

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ok, I've got time off work this week, I'll just make the hole
bigger and see if Dewson's'll take the hockey stock back.

It'd be more interesting to ask what colour duct the REC want you to
use - you're paying for the supply, and in our neck of the woods, the
duct is given to you by the REC (bearing in mind that people generally
expect services of a particular type to be in a particular colour, and
it may be a safety issue if it isn't a standardised type)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 23:05:46 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

I'm finally getting YEDL/NEDL to install seperate
metered supplies to my flats to replace their
parasitic connection to the shop downstairs,
but their chap says I need to install a 100mm/4"
cable duct. That seems overlarge to me, I could
get my arm down that

4" is used in our neck of the woods for *any* 3ph incomer - try
getting a 35mm waveform through a 2" duct :-}

(the cable might be bigger as well, depending on the number of flats
and type of heating)

Aye, I'll second that. Many years since I did supply quotations, but my
standard wording went something like

'You will be required to provide a 100mm earthenware duct through the
footings of the building. The duct should be laid at a depth of 450mm,
terminating in an easy bend radius at inside floor level.'

As CW has suggested, the cable diameter is close to the size of a hockey
stick, which is intended for single phase cables, not three phase.

--

The Wanderer

Wine Improves with age. The older I get the better it tastes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Dec, 07:28, "The. Wanderer" wrote:
[...]

You get 100mm black plastic these days (like waste pipe). Do'nt be
tempted to use Wavin coil land drain as a cheap substitute, the cable
WILL stick every foot as you try to push it through.
Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
but their chap says I need to install a 100mm/4"
cable duct. That seems overlarge to me, I could

4" is used in our neck of the woods for *any* 3ph incomer - try
(the cable might be bigger as well, depending on the number of flats

Two flats, one landlord supply for staircase, gas heating.

Ok, I've got time off work this week, I'll just make the hole
bigger and see if Dewson's'll take the hockey stock back.

Receipts? What are they?

Things that keep the Tax Man at bay :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Incoming supply fuse [email protected] UK diy 23 February 25th 07 01:32 AM
3-phase used for 1-phase (split-phase) power SRK Home Repair 9 July 22nd 06 11:01 AM
What's my incoming water pipe? Ben Blaukopf UK diy 6 December 31st 05 09:18 PM
Incoming Electric Supply Gake UK diy 5 June 22nd 05 09:05 PM
Replacing my incoming water main Lobster UK diy 13 May 15th 05 03:17 PM