Gake

Default Incoming Electric Supply

Hi,

This is my first post to this group, although I have managed to rescue
many disasters in the past by searching for an answer!

This is the first time I haven't managed to find a solution so here is
the problem:

The house is a Victorian middle of terrace and I am now redecorating
the hall.

After removing one of the skirting boards, I've found that the incoming
power supply cable is teed from the house next door and enters our
house from behind the skirting board and then goes underneath the floor
to the fuse box.

Will it be OK to just put the skirting board back on the wall on top of
the cable?

If not, what else can I do?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Gake

BigWallop

"Gake" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, the skirting board was already covering the cable, and for how many
years we don't know. So, it should be OK to replace the skirting board over
the cable, just as long as you don't bang nails and things through the cable
when you do.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Gake wrote:
After removing one of the skirting boards, I've found that the incoming
power supply cable is teed from the house next door and enters our
house from behind the skirting board and then goes underneath the floor
to the fuse box.

Will it be OK to just put the skirting board back on the wall on top of
the cable?

IMHO, yes. The cable will be an armoured type.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mark Carver

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
Gake wrote:

After removing one of the skirting boards, I've found that the incoming
power supply cable is teed from the house next door and enters our
house from behind the skirting board and then goes underneath the floor
to the fuse box.

Will it be OK to just put the skirting board back on the wall on top of
the cable?

IMHO, yes. The cable will be an armoured type.

On a similar topic I was rewiring a friend's telephone system in his 1975 built
house. The incoming BT pair were behind a blanking plate just above skirting board
level, about 10 ft inside his hallway. The other side of the wall is his
neighbour's hallway, so how the good old GPO managed to stick the cable there
(before the foundations were laid ?) I don't know. Both conductors are also
lacking their overall sheath as far down into the gloom as I could see.

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
John

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
Gake wrote:

After removing one of the skirting boards, I've found that the incoming
power supply cable is teed from the house next door and enters our
house from behind the skirting board and then goes underneath the floor
to the fuse box.

Will it be OK to just put the skirting board back on the wall on top of
the cable?

IMHO, yes. The cable will be an armoured type.

It might only be PILC (paper insulated lead covered) Depending on age of
course.
"Quite" tough but needs respect!

Is it at risk of someone driving a nail into it if the skirting board is
replaced?

Gake

Thanks for the replies.

The cable is armoured and is about 500mm from the front door, so
shouldn't think any nails will be used there.

Everything mentioned reinforces my first idea - put the skirting board
back and forget about it!

Cheers!