Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Commercial Decorating Question

Just wondering what emulsion and gloss paint commercial decorators
here use?

Thanks.

Ed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec, 18:38, wrote:
Just wondering what emulsion and gloss paint commercial decorators
here use?

Thanks.

Ed.

I don't know about here but I have seen commercial decorators use
Crown trade paint. My family were impressed with the Crown full
undercoat and full gloss and emulsion paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 23:20:49 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

A decorating freind of mine swears by Jhonstones - it is good quality paint,
but then again, so is Crown, and to a lesser degree, Dulux

I used to work for Crown. We used to rate Johnston's and Leyland, from
the same company as I recall, against 'our' Brolac/Macpherson [1],
'value for money' ranges. Of course, we always said that Crown was
better than Dulux but then the Dulux people would say that theirs was
better than Crown. Can't remember the name of the Dulux value range.

[1] Brolac and Macpherson were made to the same formulas in different
factories and sold/marketed in different parts of the country. Both
were owned by Akzo Nobel, which also owned Crown. About four years ago
Brolac was replaced by Macpherson nationally. A year or so back Akzo
Nobel bought ICI, including Dulux, and sold Crown to its management.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

A decorating freind of mine swears by Jhonstones - it is good quality paint,
but then again, so is Crown, and to a lesser degree, Dulux

I used to work for Crown. We used to rate Johnston's and Leyland, from
the same company as I recall, against 'our' Brolac/Macpherson [1],
'value for money' ranges. Of course, we always said that Crown was
better than Dulux but then the Dulux people would say that theirs was
better than Crown. Can't remember the name of the Dulux value range.

[1] Brolac and Macpherson were made to the same formulas in different
factories and sold/marketed in different parts of the country. Both
were owned by Akzo Nobel, which also owned Crown. About four years ago
Brolac was replaced by Macpherson nationally. A year or so back Akzo
Nobel bought ICI, including Dulux, and sold Crown to its management.

No wonder I am (maybe we are?) confused, if it ain't owned by Akzo
Nobel, it was...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec, 23:20, "Phil L" wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering what emulsion and gloss paint commercial decorators
here use?

Thanks.

A decorating freind of mine swears by Jhonstones - it is good quality paint,
but then again, so is Crown, and to a lesser degree, Dulux

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Does he swear by Johnstones Trade professional range or the standard
range?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks everyone. Useful answers. I've never had much success with
Crown paint but the walls in my house were done with that by the
previous occupants (tins in the garage) and they still look very good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A decorating freind of mine swears by Jhonstones - it is good quality paint,
but then again, so is Crown, and to a lesser degree, Dulux

I used to work for Crown. We used to rate Johnston's and Leyland, from
the same company as I recall, against 'our' Brolac/Macpherson [1],
'value for money' ranges. Of course, we always said that Crown was
better than Dulux but then the Dulux people would say that theirs was
better than Crown. Can't remember the name of the Dulux value range.

[1] Brolac and Macpherson were made to the same formulas in different
factories and sold/marketed in different parts of the country. Both
were owned by Akzo Nobel, which also owned Crown. About four years ago
Brolac was replaced by Macpherson nationally. A year or so back Akzo
Nobel bought ICI, including Dulux, and sold Crown to its management.

Last time I used Dulux emulsion it appeared they had taken the non-drip
formula to extremes. The stuff was so thick, it would have been better
marketed as a ready mixed plaster. Crown had a lower viscosity but
covered just as well, and was much easier to use.
Interesting to see Berger paints in my local ironmongers at very
competitive prices. Seems that some of the older brands may be scraping
the barrel in terms of retail outlets

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
HappyHunter writes:
Phil L wrote:

A decorating freind of mine swears by Jhonstones - it is good quality paint,
but then again, so is Crown, and to a lesser degree, Dulux

As did a decorator I know. Bought a load of Johnstones myself, think it
is absolute and utter rubbish. It was the Matt emulsion. When fully
dried, the slightest knock on the walls scuffs the paint. After about 1
month, the rooms (about 5 of them), looked liked they needed repainted.

Emulsion takes many weeks to set to full strength.
Drying and setting aren't the same thing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec, 18:38, wrote:
Just wondering what emulsion and gloss paint commercial decorators
here use?

Thanks.

Ed.

Local decorators around here (Midlands) use Leyland paints mostly.
Simon.