Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about TV Commercial, saves up to 25% electricity?

This is not spam, it is a serious question about a commercial that
claims a product that can save up to 25% electric usage, without
reducing power usage of applicances?

The website: WWW(dot)PowerSaveTV(dot)Com

They claim UL listed, so I guess it means it won't burn down the
house, but has anyone figured what is going on here? Is it real? Is
it a bank of capacitors to change the PowerFactor?

Any insight, or reviews would be appreciated.

thank you,

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom The Great wrote:

This is not spam, it is a serious question about a commercial that
claims a product that can save up to 25% electric usage, without
reducing power usage of applicances?

The website: WWW(dot)PowerSaveTV(dot)Com

They claim UL listed, so I guess it means it won't burn down the
house, but has anyone figured what is going on here? Is it real? Is
it a bank of capacitors to change the PowerFactor?

Any insight, or reviews would be appreciated.

thank you,

tom

What are they advertising on that site?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:

What are they advertising on that site?

--

I could not wait forever to download their literature. I googled this
newsletter:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom The Great wrote:
This is not spam, it is a serious question about a commercial that
claims a product that can save up to 25% electric usage, without
reducing power usage of applicances?

The website: WWW(dot)PowerSaveTV(dot)Com

They claim UL listed, so I guess it means it won't burn down the
house, but has anyone figured what is going on here? Is it real? Is
it a bank of capacitors to change the PowerFactor?

Any insight, or reviews would be appreciated.

thank you,

tom

I did not follow the link, but I have seen a number of like product
claims in the past. They all end up doing the same thing. Yes under very
careful controlled conditions they could do what they claim. That is the UP
TO part of their claim. In real life is it like zero. As I recall it
takes a very inefficient motor and special operating conditions and even
then it is likely to hit any savings over 1% a small fraction of 1% of the
total time.

In short if it sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true.
Your skeptical nature wins again.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:18:13 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine tried to 'steal' electricity. This is how.

The electric meter is based on a PowerFactor of 0.8, meaning that
observed 100 watts of electric usage means only 80 watts was really
used, so the meter shows 80 watts. He thought he could get his house
setup so it could get a power factor of 1. So the house would use 80
watts, the meter would see 80 watts but since it still expected 0.8 PF
it would only show 64 watts used. So 16 watts would be taken for
free.

This discussion was back in the early 90's, I was wondering if this
product was a realization of a crazy idea to defraud the electric
company.

Now all this is guessing, I am no expert to this product, so just
thinking out loud, and seeking information.

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

Tom The Great wrote:
This is not spam, it is a serious question about a commercial that
claims a product that can save up to 25% electric usage, without
reducing power usage of applicances?

The website: WWW(dot)PowerSaveTV(dot)Com

They claim UL listed, so I guess it means it won't burn down the
house, but has anyone figured what is going on here? Is it real? Is
it a bank of capacitors to change the PowerFactor?

Any insight, or reviews would be appreciated.

http://www.power-save.com/product.html

It sounds like the same thing as Green Plug. I used them for several
years on fridgs, fans, well thats all. I was going to buy another for
my new attic fan but I found one of my old ones. you can still get
remaining buyouts of the "Green Plug" from Electronic Goldmine. Take a
refridgerator, which most all new models allready have this function.
It start up drawing a lot of power and current, the Green Plug allows
this surge of current, however then backs off the supplied voltage when
starting current subsides. Now, the fans inside slow down, not really a
good thing, but with a new fridgs, its all been taken care of. I did
install one on my attic fan. Before its done the two spped fan has very
little speed differential between the two speeds. After installing the
Green Plug, there is a big difference in speeds. High is still pretty
fast but on low, the Green plug is limiting the voltage since it thinks
is just idiling.
gs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:
[...]

All of the usual electric meters measure true power consumption.
Increasing the power factor of your home won't make any significant
difference to your electric meter - maybe save you a percent or something
like that by reducing losses in your wiring.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

The electric meter is based on a PowerFactor of 0.8, meaning that
observed 100 watts of electric usage means only 80 watts was really
used, so the meter shows 80 watts. He thought he could get his house
setup so it could get a power factor of 1. So the house would use 80
watts, the meter would see 80 watts but since it still expected 0.8 PF
it would only show 64 watts used. So 16 watts would be taken for
free.

Energy meters measure energy ... they do not assume 0.8 or any other factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zek" wrote in
ups.com:

Tom The Great wrote:
[...]

It makes no sense to use a PF controller on an appliance that already has
it built in.

BTW,real PF-controllers use an IC and a triac,not a capacitor bank.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik