Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAR 38 lamps mains voltage question.

Is the highest wattage for these 120W?
I have found some at 150W but 24v.
TLC do a 120 led version, is this likely to give more light that a 120W
incandescent?
I suspect not.

The fitting is a period piece built without a reflector.
I don't want to change the fitting but ideally could do with 150-200W lamp.
Is there any alternative to par38?
Needs to be instant-on so a discharge lamp is not suitable.
BTW, white not coloured.

Many thanks,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
Is the highest wattage for these 120W?
I have found some at 150W but 24v.

150w is a standard PAR38 wattage, although 120 has become more popular
now. I can't remember where I last saw 150s, but they are around.

TLC do a 120 led version, is this likely to give more light that a 120W
incandescent?
I suspect not.

LEDS can't compete with filaments on output due to thermal issues.

The fitting is a period piece built without a reflector.
I don't want to change the fitting but ideally could do with 150-200W lamp.
Is there any alternative to par38?
Needs to be instant-on so a discharge lamp is not suitable.
BTW, white not coloured.

Most PAR38 luminaires will take basic GLS bulbs and work well enough.
Some need to be painted white on the inside so the light isnt lost.
GLS bulbs are available in 150w and 200w. Lightweight reflector bulbs
also come in 275w - though I doubt the 275s would fit.

If you really need to max it out, then if the lampholder is ceramic
and the wiring high temp insulated, and the lightbulb shrounded by the
fitting, then its time to make up an ES to linear halogen adaptor.
That will get you to a sizzling 500w if th fitting and whatever its
mounted to can take it - but do check the wiring's upto it first,
beware of any plastic parts melting, and pick a halogen fitting with a
glass front.

Or more sensibly, install another light as well. It could be a hidden
one.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Most PAR38 luminaires will take basic GLS bulbs and work well enough.

PAR38 tend to be used where they get splashed, and they are
hard glass to prevent cracking when that happens (GLS aren't).
Also, GLS probably won't make a waterproof seal with the lamp
holder.

Other thing is PAR38s seem remarkably long lived compared to other
filament lamps. I suspect their efficiency is pretty good too - compared
to other reflectors.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Most PAR38 luminaires will take basic GLS bulbs and work well enough.

PAR38 tend to be used where they get splashed, and they are
hard glass to prevent cracking when that happens (GLS aren't).
Also, GLS probably won't make a waterproof seal with the lamp
holder.

Sure, in that application you wouldnt use gls. 38s also get used for
more frivolous reasons.

Other thing is PAR38s seem remarkably long lived compared to other
filament lamps. I suspect their efficiency is pretty good too - compared
to other reflectors.

typically 1500hr lamps, which affects efficacy.

NT

Low voltage and mains in same duct Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 12 February 26th 08 06:35 PM
UK mains voltage 240...220..? [email protected] UK diy 10 December 21st 07 09:31 AM
Mains Voltage Julian UK diy 45 January 16th 07 09:05 PM
Downlighters - mains or low voltage F UK diy 70 July 5th 06 04:44 PM
Halogen lamps ... Low voltage or mains? Chris UK diy 15 June 14th 06 08:51 PM